Menu

Has anyone used Terrapin Logo programming software for kids?

Stacia

I see that the HS Buyers Co-op currently has it for sale.

Terrapin Logo at HS Buyers Co-op

Terrapin Logo homepage

My ds has already been using Scratch (free download from MIT). It's great & he enjoys it. But, it's a drag & drop interface for giving commands, while Terrapin looks like a more 'standard' programming language.

Info? Likes? Dislikes? It looks interesting, but I don't want us to end up in over our heads either, kwim? Are Scratch & Terrapin complementary programs to learn together or are they just variations of the same thing?

Help!

Thanks!

I see that the HS Buyers Co-op currently has it for sale.

Terrapin Logo at HS Buyers Co-op

Terrapin Logo homepage

My ds has already been using Scratch (free download from MIT). It's great & he enjoys it. But, it's a drag & drop interface for giving commands, while Terrapin looks like a more 'standard' programming language.

Info? Likes? Dislikes? It looks interesting, but I don't want us to end up in over our heads either, kwim? Are Scratch & Terrapin complementary programs to learn together or are they just variations of the same thing?

Help!

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, my 9 yo got it for his birthday in June. He finished it over the summer. It is sort of drag-and-drop, too. You create commands (by clicking on buttons) to move icons through mazes and then to draw a jewel. After you create your command (walk 15, turn right, turn right, etc.), then you click on a "run" button to see if your command was successful. Typing skills were not required. DS played it more like a computer game, and now that he's achieved the end, he will probably not pick it up unless I assign it for work.

I was just reminded of SCRATCH this week, and had planned to investigate it to see if this would be a helpful extension on what ds learned in LOGO.

Ds is taking an online course with The Potter's School. It uses the LEGO Robot and the Logo software. He LOVES the class.

LEGO, Logo, violin, and the piano - those are this year's loves! Hmmm.... those are all things that I've outsourced to other teachers. Maybe he's trying to tell me something! :001_smile:

Course Description is Here:

http://www.pottersschool.org/tps/coursedocs/L2LDescrandCost.pdf

Their classes aren't cheap. By any means. But I thought I would offer it up as a option.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey