Menu

Williamsburg VA accomodations - are there areas to avoid for any reason?

I'm looking into hotels/motels/B&Bs in Williamsburg for the classical ed. conference at the Marriott, and I'm just wondering if there are areas of Williamsburg to avoid for any reason - crime, traffic hard to get through during rush hour, etc. - I have no idea what Williamsburg is like, though from the internet sites, it seems mostly tourist/university/historic.

Thanks!

Edited by Colleen in NS

I really need to add something here...

We want you all to come to the conference. :001_smile: We want you to be able to afford the trip, so do what you have to do.

On the other hand...I need to point out that, in order to get the meeting space for the conference, Peace Hill Press had to guarantee booking for a certain number of rooms at the Marriott. If we don't fill them with conference attendees, we have to pay for them anyway. Even if they sit empty.

We tried to keep registration costs low (thus the whole family rate), so we can't rely on the fees to pay for unbooked rooms. So if you can, we appreciate your showing your support for the conference by booking at the Marriott.

And it'll be so much closer to wander back after that bedtime story with Jim.

SWB

We want you all to come to the conference. :001_smile: We want you to be able to afford the trip, so do what you have to do.

On the other hand...I need to point out that, in order to get the meeting space for the conference, Peace Hill Press had to guarantee booking for a certain number of rooms at the Marriott. If we don't fill them with conference attendees, we have to pay for them anyway. Even if they sit empty.

We tried to keep registration costs low (thus the whole family rate), so we can't rely on the fees to pay for unbooked rooms. So if you can, we appreciate your showing your support for the conference by booking at the Marriott.

SWB

Ahhhh, didn't know that. Sorry. Will tell dh, he doesn't mind all that much.... they'll be in the pool while I enjoy myself at the conference.

SWB

I never thought about that, either. Thanks for explaining!

Williamsburg is a very nice place. Low crime. My family lives there.

I wouldn't worry about crime, but rather some of the places being old and not updated. That's what you have to check for.

The traffic in town is quite manageable compared to metropolitan areas.

Interstate 64 can get congested or have accidents, but I wouldn't worry about that either. It gets worse just past Williamsburg during rush hour.

Colleen, my family has stayed in the SpringHill suites twice in Williamsburg. While they could use some updating, they do have the "extra" room with a sleeper sofa and a desk, along with 2 queen beds. It includes breakfast.

Love your location BTW!

Thank you both for the info., it's helpful to know.