Menu

Saxon vs. Teaching Textbooks

angela&4boys

Well since you said that you also wanted reviews for levels 7/6 & above, I'll tell you our experience. We've used Saxon most of our HS journey. My daughter is currently working through ALG 1. I'm not a big fan of the DIVE cd's. We used them, but there always seemed to be a problem she didn't understand and when I'd pull out the solution manual, I couldn't understand it either. So IMO, the Dive cd's are just okay. Usable but not optimal.

For a brief time, I considered TT and even had my dd look it over. She spent a few minutes looking it over and told me that she did NOT want to switch. She didn't like the way TT was laid out.

Now...fastforward to ALG 1. We are using the Saxon Teacher CD's (CBD carries) and these are WONDERFUL!!!!! It is like having your very own private tutor and worth every single penny. I don't know if Saxon plans on going back into 7/6 and Alg 1/2 and making CD's for these, but I am sure hoping they do for my next three students.

Now...fastforward to ALG 1. We are using the Saxon Teacher CD's (CBD carries) and these are WONDERFUL!!!!! It is like having your very own private tutor and worth every single penny. I don't know if Saxon plans on going back into 7/6 and Alg 1/2 and making CD's for these, but I am sure hoping they do for my next three students.

I'll definitely check these out.

on YouTube goes into more detail about the Saxon DIVE CDs. He compares it to other video/CD programs. (Including TT)

Keep in mind that it was put out by http://www.diveintomath.com so it's biased, but maybe it will help.

The YouTube video is not honest .

For starters he says understates the cost of Dive while getting the cost of the other products correct. hmmm.

Then he says only DIVE prepares for the SAT - again not true - the other programs do - I have checked and double checked this - it is very important to me that my kids are well prepared for the SAT.

The reason dive covers some of those math concepts in alg 1 and 2 is because Saxon does them.

Saxon is required to covers those concepts at this stage because it has to meet the curricular requirements of ALL the states.

The US states all differ to each other in the order in which math concepts are taught.

Any curriculum that wants to be used in a public school is then forced to introduce concepts early, whether it makes sense or not.

TT has broken away from the pack with this.

It does not try to meet the requirements of any state - it is written from the ground up for homeschoolers.

It introduces concepts once the foundation has been well laid.

The explanations in TT are excellent - they avoid any confusion and give the student a solid foundation.

It does not rush, but builds solidly and thoroughly.

It is important that you stick with whatever program you use, because of the order that concepts are introduced. If you skip around between programs you run the risk of missing out on certain concepts.

I emailed TT about the comments on the YouTube video.

I am concerned because of the false statements in the video, and now people are making decisions based on the video.

My email to TT :

There is a video on YouTube put out by DIVE math, which uses Saxon .

In it he gives a comparison of DIVE and TT – would you be willing to answer these comparisons ?

– he claims that with TT the student is not ready for SAT.

– he claims that TT does not include certain math concepts

Could you please answer to those and let us know when the math concepts are covered, if not in Algebra then when.

And TT's Response :

Both of these statements are false. The TT series covers all the major concepts included in state standards (which are all pretty similar). In fact, Saxon, which is used by DIVE, is the only major math series that does not have a separate one year course in geometry. Saxon mixes geometry with the Alg. 1, Alg. 2, and Advanced Math, and still doesn't cover everything. So Saxon falls short on standards, not TT. The other problem is that if you don't make it through Saxon's Advanced Math course, you won't even cover all the lessons that they do have on geometry. Many students don't get that far, so they receive far less than a full year geometry course.

As for SAT prep, TT does a better job on that than anyone else for two reasons: TT assignments include many problems that are very similar to SAT type problems. This "built in" test review is very helpful. Second, TT is very concept oriented. To do well on the SAT, you need to understand the concepts, because different kinds of problems are thrown at you without any examples to look at first. Saxon and some of the others are more rote learning oriented. Saxon's incomplete treatment of geometry is also a weakness for SAT prep, since the SAT consists of mostly basic arithmetic, Alg. 1, and Geometry. (There is some Alg. 2, but not a lot. The SAT has no Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry on it, except simple Trig, which is included in a Geometry course). So if you go into the test weak in Geometry, you are inadequately prepared.

Okay. . .

My oldest has used Saxon all the way through.

My 2nd has switched to TT.

I tried to switch my oldest to TT as he was exceeding my ability. He would have nothing to do with it.

Last I checked the Saxon teacher CDs (which are different from the DIVE CDs) are one book behind what my child is using. (I'll have to double check that, but I know last year we started Al2 and they hadn't yet come out with the teacher cd.)

My oldest is now struggling (advanced math), and math has always been his strong subject (straight As). He's WAY beyond anything I ever covered in school. (I'm definately going to have to see if those CDs have caught up to us yet!)

My 2nd is doing TT Pre-Algebra. This is all stuff I am still familiar with, but it is awfully nice to give it to him to go on. (I have 2 little guys too.) It's also wonderful as he's learning about the program (how to use it to his best advantage and what have you), and on TT's scope and sequence. (This was part of the problem for DS1 in switching from Saxon Al. 1 to TT Al 2 -- 2 very different scopes and sequences.)

HTH, and I'm off to look for those CDs!

I cannot compare to Saxon as I have never used it, but after watching that You Tube video I can say that he is spot on about what TT does cover. We are using TT algebra 1 now, and it does not seem to cover in Algebra 1 what other Alegbra 1 courses cover. Much seems to be left for Algebra 2. Then you have the situation where Algebra 2 does not cover as much as a standard Alegbra 2 course would.

I know that was a little cyclical, but from what I am discovering TT just doesn't seem to cover enough concepts.

Jennie

Much seems to be left for Algebra 2. Then you have the situation where Algebra 2 does not cover as much as a standard Alegbra 2 course would.

I believe that TT states upfront that they do not cover topics that you would find in traditional (standard) courses -- at least not on the traditional scope and sequence.

I do believe when they are done with their courses they will cover the traditional scope just out of the traditional sequence.

I also know that for Saxon -- geometry is spread through Al 1 - Adv. Math. (TT has a seperate book.)

And I now also know that they do have the Adv. Math CDs out (just FYI). Going to talk to son about getting them for him.

If you are comparing TT to "school texts", there is a difference. Saxon was originally written for schools and are still geared toward the classroom.

School texts have all kinds of topics in them that don't get covered because they are not on the "objectives" list for whatever tests are required. I don't think students necessarily cover more by using those texts...yes, the information is there, but schools never use the whole book (my oldest went all the way through graduation in ps - they probably used about half the topics in the math books each year).

Both my dc use TT and are doing well. I don't have math geniuses, though...just regular kids!

Regular SAT practice and review aside from your student's normal studies is your best way to insure success on those tests. We do the SAT question of the day, dd is enrolled in the College Board's SAT prep course and also uses the Army's March2Success online prep program...she works on this every day for 20-30 minutes. A few months before the actual test, she will do full timed tests, either online or workbooks.

hth,

Robin