Menu

Is this enough writing for 4th grade?

Hannah

My dd has just started with 4th grade and I want to make sure that we're doing enough writing. Across the curriculum, she picks up her pencil for:

Language Arts

- Writing Tales. We're finishing off level 1 and going into 2 this year.

- Character Italics for handwriting practice and additional copywork.

- Word lists and dictation sentences from Word Attack spelling.

Our Grammar (Kiss), Afrikaans (Sonder Trane) and Latin (Latina Christiana I) are all workbooks that require her to diagram, fill in the blank or write short sentences .

History

- Weekly history narrations for SOTW3 - On average she writes about 4 paragraphs.

Science and Geography

- We use workbooks for Science (My Pals are Here) and Geography (Discovering the world of Geography). These have mostly fill-in-the-blank exercises.

Math

Singapore

Bible, Art Appreciation, Composer Study, Book reports and SA history are all done as self-reading, read-alouds and discussed orally.

Is she writing enough or should we add more?

At that age I go for about a paragraph a day and the last half of the year I help them to write a few essays. We use Writing Tales too and IEW, but not at the same time.

My dc also have a journal that they write in almost every day for 10-15 minutes after breakfast, lunch or when I'm busy and they need my help. Free writing can have a profound effect on a child's ability to write well because they learn to write for fun and to write to express what they are thinking. I only glance at their journals, but will read them if they are excited about something they wrote and ask me to read it. I googled 4th grade journals and topics and came up with this

http://www.tooter4kids.com/journal_writing.htm