Menu

What books do you use for geography?

I'm trying to piece together our geography studies. I was going to use GtG but have decided not to. I would like to find a something for a spine, and the other books to dig deeper. So far some of the books I have found are too young or too old for my 8 and 9 year old. Any books suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

We used a wide variety of resources to piece together our geography:

Globe/Maps for Quick Reference

What got used a lot were placemats, one with the US with states and major cities, and a World map of countries and capitals; also a lap sized white board from Rainbow Resource with an outline map of the US with states, and the world's countries printed on the reverse side.

Atlas

- Circling the Globe -- great picture/text atlas of all the countries of the world; older and out of print, but still worthwhile

- The Kids' Fun-Filled Search & Find Geography Book" by Anthony Tallarico -- more for fun; a Where's Waldo type of atlas

Workbooks for Map Skills

- Map Skills for Today series by grade -- gr. 1-5

- The Complete Book of Maps & Geography -- gr. 3-6

- MCP's Maps Charts and Graphs series by grade -- gr. 1-8

- Carson-Dellosa's Discovering the World of Geography series by grade -- gr. 5-8

Free Online Geography Games

To learn/drill states & capitals; countries/capitals/features: http://www.shepardsoftware.com

Books For General Information

- Maps and Globes (Knowlton) -- gr. K-4

- Maps and Mazes (Chapman) -- gr. 1-4

- Geography From A to Z (Knowlton) -- gr. K-4

- Usborne Book of Geography

(hard back compilation of 4 Usborne books: The Earth We Live On; The Seas Around Us; Peoples of the World; Houses Around the World; plus a Maps of the World section)

Books on Specific Sub Topics

- biomes (climate zones) of Earth

- cultures/countries

- historical fiction involving various countries/areas of the world

We didn't have these, but they looks interesting:

- Whole Earth Geography Book by Anthony D. Fredericks

- Geography Brain Stretchers by Anthony D. Fredericks

- Amazing World Geography: A Book of Answers for Kids by The New York Public Library and Andrea Sutcliffe

- The True Book series (Continents series; Bodies of Water series; Countries series; for example: "Asia" by David Petersen, "The Pacific Ocean" by David Petersen; Puerto Rico by Elaine Landau -- etc.)

And here are past threads you might find helpful:

What Do You Use For Geography in the Elementary Years

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64705&highlight=geography

Need Geography Suggestions for First Grade

(MANY suggestions for books that are usable for older children, too)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=413277&highlight=geography

Enjoy your geography journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Draw Write Now books 7&8.

Disney Learning's Our World is fabulous! I love the way it is set up.

I have some others in my signature. They are all very good, but these are the top two.

I have found that Material World is more for Jr. Hihg students, IMO and any skimming of pictures we do at this stage is redundant

Our kids ds13, dd10, and dd8 like Trail Guide to World Geography. We have enjoyed the notebooks, daily questions, mapping, etc. We have enjoyed checking out videos from the library like Passport to Europe--after those my kids all wanted to go to Europe for a vacation--not happening, but we'd love it. We just finished watching some National Geographic videos on Africa that I use to supplement our daily drills and other readings to go along with the program. http://www.geomatters.com

I also used a book last year called Geography from A to Z by Jack Knowlton to help the kids learn geography terms.

We hope to use Trail Guide to U.S. Geography next year.

Laure