Menu

Paying for medical records?

I am changing doctors and need to have my records forwarded. The receptionist said that it will cost me $30. Is this standard? I thought the records belonged to me. She siad that the MD needs to hang on to them for a certain number of years. I understand that but shouldn't that be up to the MD?

They are managed and stored by the doctor's office or hospital, and whether electronic or on paper, it costs them to manage, not you. If there's a lawsuit, what's recorded there will count more than your verbal testimony, yet another indication that they aren't really yours.

I know that it seems like a lot of money, but that's standard practice. I won't even tell you how many hundreds of dollars we've spent over the years getting DH's.

They do, technically, belong to you. They are also required to keep a full copy of your record for a certain number of years. They charge a fee to copy - for time and materials. However, they typically do not charge other doctors to copy them. I would just have your new doctor send a records request.