Menu

You are What You Eat with Gillian McKeith

I used to catch her (and Kim & Aggie) on BBCA in the middle of the day. I could never understand who would think it's a good idea to take people who eat a very limited, mostly fried, highly sweetened, salted and chemically flavored diet and force them to eat her meal plan in the name of lasting health. It is just difficult for me to envision living on soft drinks, donuts, and take-out Chinese, and suddenly be required to eat things like soaked muesli. And I enjoy natural, whole foods. Her methods just seem like an unsustainable leap to me.

I like Nourishing Traditions, too, but I think it's greatest value is in the reference material - the whys and hows of the first section and recipes.

In any event, eating well does take more time than eating instant, processed foods. It doesn't have to take as much time as having to go to several specialty shops to find uncommon ingredients, soak things for days in order to be able to eat or learn how to use a whole pantry of new things, though. We had macaroni and cheese for lunch yesterday, homemade with raw dairy, whole wheat pasta. It took about 20 minutes.

It doesn't take appreciably longer to have whole wheat pasta tossed in olive oil, herbs, garlic, maybe some cherry tomatoes (or diced tomatoes out of season) and a grating of parmesan than it does to have white pasta in jarred sauce. It just takes more attention. Being mindful of your ingredients goes a long way to increasing the nutrition of your meals. And then you can start adding in interesting things that pack a bigger nutritional punch as you find interest. You know?

I used to catch her (and Kim & Aggie) on BBCA in the middle of the day. I could never understand who would think it's a good idea to take people who eat a very limited, mostly fried, highly sweetened, salted and chemically flavored diet and force them to eat her meal plan in the name of lasting health. It is just difficult for me to envision living on soft drinks, donuts, and take-out Chinese, and suddenly be required to eat things like soaked muesli. And I enjoy natural, whole foods. Her methods just seem like an unsustainable leap to me.

I like Nourishing Traditions, too, but I think it's greatest value is in the reference material - the whys and hows of the first section and recipes.

In any event, eating well does take more time than eating instant, processed foods. It doesn't have to take as much time as having to go to several specialty shops to find uncommon ingredients, soak things for days in order to be able to eat or learn how to use a whole pantry of new things, though. We had macaroni and cheese for lunch yesterday, homemade with raw dairy, whole wheat pasta. It took about 20 minutes.

It doesn't take appreciably longer to have whole wheat pasta tossed in olive oil, herbs, garlic, maybe some cherry tomatoes (or diced tomatoes out of season) and a grating of parmesan than it does to have white pasta in jarred sauce. It just takes more attention. Being mindful of your ingredients goes a long way to increasing the nutrition of your meals. And then you can start adding in interesting things that pack a bigger nutritional punch as you find interest. You know?

Yep, makes sense to me. I am going to concentrate on adding the first three foods I listed and go from there. I think as I get more nutrients I will be less likely to crave unhealthy foods.

I think I'd bail out at the first glass of warm water. :001_huh:

Yes, particularly if it was followed by some soaked (to make it digestible) muesli. I can't imagine trying to chew that. I mean, why not just go out and gnaw the bark off whatever shade trees you have nearby?

Personally, I drink lots of warm water - it's called "tea" and has a number of herbs infused in it. (ok, including sometimes the bark of random shade trees)

And, yes, I think the menus look depressing. At it's core, food should NOT be depressing. I'm sure that is criminal.