Menu

Cursive first??? and ETC

Felicia

I had it all planned out. I was going to use ETC books A, B, and C for handwriting for my 6 yr old. Start AAS 1 with her so that would put us in good line to start ETC book 1 when she starts AAS 2. ETC would be used for review purposes, as was suggested here. But now I've had an ACK!!!moment. I was reading the post were it is better to start children in cursive writing first and then print. This way they don't have to unlearn things to just relearn them for cursive. Doing a lot of study on this lately now, I've learned that this is how handwriting was taught in ps until about the 1940's or so. No wonder all those old grandmas and grandpas have wonderful handwriting.

Now my question is, before I completely mess her up, how do I incorporate the two? Should I just throw out the A B C books since I am just using those for handwriting, (she already knows her alphabet but using these to reinforce the sounds and for handwriting) and get a different handwriting program? What should I get? There is also the question of which handwriting style... Ugh.

We used BJU handwriting with my older two. I love the end product of the writing but it teaches print first. My dd 13 has not so nice cursive unless she painfully tries to really do her very best. Still it is not quite as nice as my ds10 who is a lefty. He has beautiful penmanship, but it is something he really loves and really wants to learn the art of the beautiful loops that BJU doesn't have. So I am off to find a differnt handwriting program for him. Something I suppose like I learned in school, or maybe even the spencerian style. *sigh*

I'm sorry this is so lengthy a post for just handwriting, but I really just would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the subject.

Thank you,:)

Felicia

Edited by Felicia

I would say, "Yes" stick with the cursive first, and then when they're in 3rd grade, you wouldn't have to be concentrating on a whole new writing class. AND, they will "just learn" print when they need to fill out maps and such. Memoria Press has an inexpensive copywork set. And, I use the actual "Cursive First" book, but not necessarily on their pages. If you really want a copywork set, Memoria Press' is really nice, but I wanted something that taught HOW to instruct each letter to be formed. I'm not sure if MP's does...but the CF one does...

Carrie:-)

Here's my thoughts on the whole cursive/print debate. I'll try to make it brief:D

My oldest started out in A Beka, I bought the manuscript version. We HATED A Beka handwriting. It had nothing to do with printing v/s cursive. We moved onto A Reason For Handwriting before I gave up and decided, "At least she can write." She hates printing and has horrible handwriting. I was SWEATING teaching cursive and, after trying the "old fashioned method of Rod and Staff, I went with HWT. She LOVES handwriting and is doing beautifully.

I don't think neat handwriting depends on a program or an order to how you did things. I think neat handwriting 100% depends on the person. My oldest is eccentric and artistic. She is a free spirit and her handwriting reflects that:glare: That's why she loves cursive. She loves to make it "pretty." However, there is NO WAY she would have sat for cursive when we were starting out. Back then she didn't care about "pretty." She didn't like things she had to work at (she was the same way with math).

Because of my philosophies, my youngest is doing HWT. I know people don't think it's "pretty," but I don't care:lol:. I want her to learn to write as painlessly as possible. Then, when she learns cursive, she can make it pretty on her own.

OK, that wasn't brief:lol:, but I hope I helped!

Dorinda

ETA I somehow deleted my comment about crawling before you walk, LOL! I think printing is an important step. I think cursive is frustrating for the young brain. Just my two cents. I wouldn't combine them. I think it would be too confusing.

Edited by coffeefreak

I do Cursive First http://www.swrtraining.com/id55.html It follows the SWR phonograms, which are similar to AAS, I believe.

I have used Abeka K5 Cursive too. We liked it up until it broke from practicing letters into their phonics portion. We get it out once in a while when I have nothing better to copy;)

I personaly don't like the ETC primers, but I am using the book 1 right now as review/reinforcement as time permits. I only started this AFTER his cursive was established as it's not my main phonics program. It's basically for gaining fluency with cvc words (and keeping him independantly occupied/learning as I spend time with my other dc).

To begin cursive, I taught ds to trace the letters on the CF flashcards, and then moved to mini-chalkboards. I would write a letter and he would trace with his finger and then trace again with chalk. We did this for a long time before putting it on paper.

I don't think it matters too much what style of cursive you use. Why not just ask your daughter which one she likes the look of?

I have successfully used workbooks that use print with my children; they just write in cursive. However, if the ETC books are mainly handwriting instruction I don't think it would work so well.

My experience with my son would lead me to compare printing/cursive to skipping/walking. It is far easier to walk than skip because you have flowing movement.

Julie D.

Thank you all. I really appreciate your insight. I was looking at the Cursive First book and I really think that is what I am going to go with. I don't think I'm going to start my dd4 quite yet like some have but I really think it will work for my dd6 to start on. I think I'll use it with my older dc also. I really think it will help improve my oldest penmanship and this is also the style my ds was wanting to learn.

Geez, I should've just listened to him in the first place, huh? :D

Again, many thanks for your input. It really did help me to put it in perspective.

Felicia