Menu

How to do a quick Historical overview of Ancient Greece and Rome?

annabanana1992

For a number of reasons, I am going to need to cover the history of Ancient Greece and Rome in about 6 weeks this Spring for DD7. I don't think I am looking for a Unit Study because I only want to cover the history aspect and not integrate across my whole curriculum. Does anybody have any suggestions of how I might go about doing this?

Thanks!

My recommendation would be to check the Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece and the Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of the Roman World out of your library and read through them together.

Also, purchase the Ancient Civilizations History Pockets book ($12.99, I got mine "used" from Amazon for $7.99 ppd) and do the Greek and Roman projects.

Voila! Done!

Tara

If you can borrow SOTW from the library or a friend, I would recommend just reading the chapters. Three weeks on Greece, three on Rome. If your daughter would like the history pocket style activities those would be great too. You could find some other videos or books from the library to look at pictures, maybe some audio versions of the mythology if you have a good library. The chapters in SOTW can go pretty quickly if you read one a day, or skip around.

I'd just cover the chapters in SOTW I that focus on Greece and Rome, do the Ancient's History Pocket from Evan Moor and get some related picture books from the library. If you have the SOTW AG, do some of the hands on stuff from that, or get an activity guide from the library. If you don't have SOTW, you could also use CHOW.

Here's what I would do:

1) As others have recommended, I would start by reading relevant chapters in SOTW or CHOW. This provides an overview.

At this point, you can either continue in overview mode, or try to go a little in depth on select topics.

The books I would use are Famous Men of Greece and Famous Men of Rome. If you choose to go in depth, I would also recommend using Memoria Press' Student Guides for the Famous Men of.... books.

2a) If you're just going for an overview, read Famous Men of Greece and Famous Men of Rome straight through. Don't worry about doing any writing, quizzes or review.

2b) If you're going for a little more depth, select a handful of chapters in the Famous Men of... books that you want to focus in on and read them. Do the accompanying lessons in the Memoria Press workbooks.

3) Study the Greek myths. If you cannot fit these into your six-week period then sneak them in under reading or literature. Here are some good books:

a) D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

b) Mary Pope Osborne's 7-volume set on Odysseus (don't be alarmed -- this is easy and quick reading)

c) Rosemary Sutcliff's narratives of the Illiad and the Odyssey: Black Ships Before Troy, The Wanderings of Odysseus.

Expect to revisit this material many times -- for us the study of Ancient Greece and Rome is an ongoing multi-year affair. If you choose to do 2a this year, you can do 2b next year.

Edited by plimsoll

Here's what I would do:

1) As others have recommended, I would start by reading relevant chapters in SOTW or CHOW. This provides an overview.

At this point, you can either continue in overview mode, or try to go a little in depth on select topics.

The books I would use are, Famous Men of Greece and Famous Men of Rome. If you choose to go in depth, I would also recommend using Memoria Press' Student Guides for the Famous Men of.... books.

2a) If you're just going for an overview, read Famous Men of Greece and Famous Men of Rome straight through. Don't worry about doing any writing, quizzes or review.

2b) If you're going for a little more depth, select a handful of chapters in the Famous Men of... books that you want to focus in on and read them. Do the accompanying lessons in the Memoria Press workbooks.

3) Study the Greek myths. If you cannot fit these into your six-week period then sneak them in under reading or literature. Here are some good books:

a) D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

b) Mary Pope Osborne's 7-volume set on Odysseus (don't be alarmed -- this is easy and quick reading)

c) Rosemary Sutcliff's narratives of the Illiad and the Odyssey: Black Ships Before Troy, The Wanderings of Odysseus.

Expect to revisit this material many times -- for us the study of Ancient Greece and Rome is an ongoing multi-year affair. If you choose to do 2a this year, you can do 2b next year.

:iagree:

If you listen to audiobooks in the car, Jim Weiss has a couple of cds, I know our local library carries them. We have enjoyed listening to them many times:

Greek Myths http://www.greathall.com/products/1124-002.html

* King Midas and the Golden Touch

* Adventures of Hercules

* Perseus and Medusa

* Arachne

She and He: Adventures in Mythology

http://www.greathall.com/products/1124-009.html

* Psyche & Cupid

* Pygmalion & Galatea

* Echo & Narcissus

* Atalanta & The Golden Apples

* Baucis & Philemon

Heroes in Mythology

http://www.greathall.com/products/1124-024.html

* Theseus and the Minotaur

* Prometheus, Bearer of Fire

* Odin and the Norse Men

Aliki has a nice intro to the mythology picture book

http://www.amazon.com/Goddesses-Olympus-Trophy-Picture-Books/dp/0064461890/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232405643&sr=8-1

The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus