Menu

Has Anyone Used WP Language Arts Program?

iamrachelle

I'm thinking about using WP next year for American History. Has anyone used their LA program? Is it comprehensive, or do I need to add in spelling, grammar, reading comprehension, etc? I'm only using Rod & Staff 3 this year and feel like we're missing a lot as far as writing skills go, so I am definitely interested in something that incorporates this into the curriculum. Or, if you have any other suggestions, I'm all :bigear: Thanks!

We have used and loved WinterPromise LA 1 and 2 so far. We plan to continue with LA3 next year. The one "tweak" I have made is to replace Adventures in Phonics C with Pathway Readers More Busy Times with workbook since Christmas. It was just a personal preference choice, based partly on the fact that my ds is pretty well grounded in phonics already.

Of the components you listed, all are covered. Reading Comprehension/Vocabulary is covered by Wordly Wise for grades 2 &3, I think it switches to Words Are Wonderful just for novelty at fourth grade. There are no comprehension questions for the readers but occasionally there will be a creative writing exercise connected to them, or to something you have

read in a WP theme.

I'm happy to answer specific questions if you have any. Fire away! :001_smile:

I agree with Jennifer. I've used/am using Pre-K, K, 1, 4 & 7. I really like the younger years. I've been searching for years for a LA program that I felt was complete. That said....

I will not use it next year for my older guys. It's a preference thing for us too. I'm an IEW fan. It works for us, so using WP's LA for the older grades just doesn't fit w/ IEW. I also prefer using Progeny Press Lit. Units for these older grades and after you do these 2 items, throw in a little spelling, it's pretty full.

But if I wasn't biased to IEW I'd probably still be using WP LA.

Edited by Tiffani

LA has been my obsession this week. I plan on using WP LA for Sea and Sky when we do that program.

Just Write - Book 3 | LA4-04 | $12

Students will learn writing skills like planning, word choice, organization, paragraphs, and short essays.

It looks like LA4 has this. It does incorporate creative writing with the program guide.

I know many that are happy with WP LA. It meshes together really well. I wouldn't think it is in the classical style. From what I can tell most of the writing is in the form of creative writing. In

this group their was a discussion called can we talk about LA? You can get a lot of information there.

I think maybe Writing Tales would be something to look at. It includes grammar but the focus is on writing. I have been talking about it all over the place on here lately.

For the ages of your kids I would just get Writing With Ease. If you use the main text then you can use selections from the history program.

Edited by Lovedtodeath