Menu

Galloping the Globe

ladydusk

We're doing "Geography" (very, very basic) studying ocean (names), continents, a country per continent or two this year. We're going to educate on a calendar year basis, and have just started. (What is a map? The world is a big place, isn't it? Let's make map of your bedroom stuff for January then expand).

I keep looking at Galloping the Globe and thinking some of the supplements look good (particularly the cook book, as one of our main activities will be cooking food from where we're studying) and wondering if some of the activities would be something I could pull in. But, then, when I read the description, it says "cross words, word finds, etc" and that makes me think this would be a waste of money for K4 ... and that I'm not very into that kind of seat work for the long run anyway.

Anyway, my question is, how much of the program is that kind of work? Should I just buy some of the reference(d) books and to supplement what I make up myself (which is what I intended to do anyway ... but if there's something that well respected where the work is done for me ........)

Hi! We are also using GTG with my Margaret :) age 5. We've been using the picture book recommendations and maps and other suggestions as appropriate. We also started the geography study in the fall with some stuff I put together from Me on the Map, Geography from A to Z and Marvelous Map Activities for Young Learners. I've done google searches for coloring pages to supplement GTG. Hope this helps. I found GTG quite helpful, if nothing else, it gives ideas on what to do next.

Laura

I have not used GTG, but I did want to suggest this cookbook. We are using it this year as part of a similar sort of geography study (5 yo, btw). The recipes are simple enough that a 4-5 yo can make them, I have not had any trouble locating ingredients, and the ideas for the recipes (if not the recipes themselves) are fairly authentic.

We just started GTG. I purchased the cookbook mentioned above after looking at it from my library. I agree that it is very nice. I got it instead of the one recommend in GTG because it was available through Amazon. I also purchased Around the World in 80 Tales. It is a beautiful book!

As for GTG itself... I was expecting more content/information. I still need to search and gather a lot of stuff. I can do that on my own without the book, but it does give me a starting point of topics (explorers/animals) for each destination. The problem for me is that several of the core books used are not secular. I didn't realized that when I purchased the book. The problem with the maps, flag coloing pages and other worksheets is that you need to copy them. For me, if I need to copy them anyway, I can just as easily find those items free online to print. So, I have it, I'll use it, but It didn't live up to my expectations. I do though have a lot of good resources (links/books) gathered from my own research if you need.

I think GTG was way too thin. Most of the ideas inside are kinda obvious..such as color a map of the country, or color the flag..all of which can be found on the internet. Also, many of the literature suggestions are Five in A Row which I can check out from my library. I also found many suggestions for books on website book lists etc. For me to purchase GTG would have been a waste of money. I will be doing a geography study with my 2nd grader and PreKer and I have found it better to piece it together myself. I have started some plans on my website if you are interested. I think there is a link on the right hand side of the page.

www.hazelnutacademy.blogspot.com

Sheryl

I considered GTG, but was not wild about the excerpts of it that I saw on geomatters.com. I ended up writing my own curriculum (it's still a work in progress). We'll be using the following resources:

Children Just Like Me

Children Just Like Me: Celebrations!

Rand McNally Schoolhouse Beginner’s Atlas

Beginning Geography: How to use a map

Beginning Geography: Continents & Oceans

Beginning Geography: Landforms and Bodies of Water

Geography Through Art

Around the World Art & Activities

Usborne’s Stories From Around the World

The Lionteller’s Bedtime Story Book

And lots and lots of library books, and online resources.

We used Me on the Map, The Once Upon a Time Map Book, Which Way to the Revolution?, atlas and wall world map, and lots of story books with maps (like My Father's Dragon and Katy and the Big Snow) for introducing maps. We made maps of various rooms on our house, a pirate treasure map and a fantasy story map. It was a blast!

Now I'm introducing ds to the diversity of people, cultures and places all over the world. Our books include Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest, How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World, Puddle & Toot, Everybody Eats Rice and People by Peter Spier.

All this to say that I'm having a lot of fun putting together my own curriculum! :D

After reading this thread and realizing I'm not the only one not impressed with GTG, I've decided to return my book while I'm still within the 30 days return window:tongue_smilie: We're currently in the middle of our introduction to geography unit and I realized the only thing I took from GTG was the suggestion for Toot and Puddle.

Here are some of my favorite resources/links I gathered on my own. There is a lot of great material readily available. Thanks to everyone who shared their resources!

edupic.com geography pictures/flag color pages

crayola.com social studies color pages

yourchildlearns.com print MEGA size maps!

eduplace.com printable outline maps

kids.nationalgeographic.com

cyberschoolbus.un.org country at a glance

worldatlas.com

needsoutreach.org ASL country signs

My favorite three book to use with every country to cover.

Kids Around the World Cook

Around the World Art & Activities

Aournd the World in 80 Tales

We're using GTG this year- my favorite part has been the picture/chapter book suggestions for each country.

We have not used any of the activity suggestions as they are mostly for older children or the same thing everytime- draw/label map, etc.

If you can find book suggestions for countries elsewhere I think it would be easy to pull together on your own.

I use the internet to search for recipes from the country we are studying as well as for crafts for the country. I love the book Discovering Great Artists beacuse it's easy to find artists from many of the countries we have studied and has wonderful art activity ideas. I use the Dover World map coloring book as I have found we like their maps better than the ones included in the GTG book.

I was just surfing the internet for screen saver pictures and decided I wanted Earth/continent pictures to go along with our geography studies. I stumbled upon this site and it looks great! There are maps, satellite images, and photos from all the continents. I pick continent and globe picture for my screen saver for this week and plan to change as we "travel" the globe.

http://www.geographicguide.com/