Menu

What is the youngest you would start Latin? What program would you use?

Annie Laurie

If I wait until my middle ds is in 4th, my dd in 3rd, and my youngest in 1st, is there any program available that they could all use that my youngest could keep up with? Or is that pretty unrealistic? Next year I thought we'd just listen to Song School Latin, but I would wait a year to really start a formal program. (Maybe Prima Latina or Latin for Children).

If I need to wait for the 1st grader to get older, how hard is it to have all the kids doing Lively Latin at different levels? Is a parent supposed to do it all along with them or is it self-teaching? (If such a thing exists!)

I'm going to wait until ds is in 5th and we will start with Latin's Not So Tough! Before that we're already doing Spanish, so I anticipate it will be a little easier for him to catch him. Besides that, I do speak another language to him -- Papiamento, my native language. He can't help but understand it.

Edited by sagira

Besides that, I do speak another language to him -- Papiamento, my native language. He can't help but understand it.

That's such a wonderful thing to have- I think immersion is the best way for a child to learn another language and wish I could speak to my children in another language. Unfortunately, English was my first and only language and languages have never come easy to me; now I wish I'd worked harder at learning one in high school and college. My husband's mother is fluent in Spanish but she only spoke to him in English growing up, so he doesn't know how to speak Spanish himself. If she lived nearby I'd have her come over everyday and speak mostly Spanish to the kids, but she lives in another state.

I started ds in 4th with Prima Latina and now dd is in 3rd and doing Prima Latina.

ds couldn't have started earlier than 4th, but dd is whizzing through it easily.

Perhaps you could start them at the same time with PL, and then move them onto LC1 and 2 together.

We started ds with Latina Christiana 1 in 4th grade. For him, that was a great age.

I've taught Latin in co-op for a few years. The fourth graders tend to do better with LC 1, but I've seen a couple of bright 3rd graders do just fine.

If you're looking to include your two older, I'd wait until they're 4th/3rd at the minimum, but you'd be fine waiting until 5th/4th as well.

I appreciated going through LC twice. I knew it better the second time, and I think that my 2nd grader will do better with it when we get there because *I* know more what I'm doing.

After Song School Latin, I think you will have to teach your youngest seperately. You may be able to teach older two together, depending on their individual abilities. Not to be discouraging, but I will say that did not work in my household with the older two dc, because they are very different types of thinkers/learners, and they are very competitive. YMMV

I have just ordered SSL for my younger two, in 1st and 3rd to use this year. When next school year begins in October, my older dc will switch to LfC whether we have finished SSL or not. The younger dc will continue with SSL, then something like minimus or Latin's not so tough, until she is ready for LfC in 3rd or 4th.

Good luck!

I think that you could go over Prima Latina with the older ones formally and have the first grader do it orally. Prima Latina's first focus is on vocabulary. I know that it has been said too that the child should know how to read first before starting Latin. So, that might be a gage. I started both my children in third grade with Prima Latina.

May the Lord bless you on your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

My 3rd grader started LCI with her 6th grade and 9th grade sisters and grandma. She did just fine in 3rd with my mom spending extra time with her. That's probably the earliest I would have started her with written. Here's the funny part. We started saying the Table Blessing at night, and my son (at 3) demanded that his sisters say each part as he copied them.... Three nights later, I saw him jumping on the couch shouting the prayer. I shouted to the girls to come and listen. In 3 nights he had memorized the prayer in Latin...so obviously, I'm saying you should think of letting/having any young children listen to you practicing your oral Latin:-)

Carrie:-)

After Song School Latin, I think you will have to teach your youngest seperately. You may be able to teach older two together, depending on their individual abilities. Not to be discouraging, but I will say that did not work in my household with the older two dc, because they are very different types of thinkers/learners, and they are very competitive. YMMV

I think it should work with the middle two together- they are 19 months apart, and similar in ability, though my dd (who is younger), is more mature than her brother. He is highly visual so I will just have to make sure that aspect is in there for him. They're not competitive so far, they do a lot of the same things, but I'll definitely watch for that.

There is just so much to do, I was hoping to combine Latin so that I don't go crazy!

I think that you could go over Prima Latina with the older ones formally and have the first grader do it orally. Prima Latina's first focus is on vocabulary. I know that it has been said too that the child should know how to read first before starting Latin. So, that might be a gage. I started both my children in third grade with Prima Latina.

May the Lord bless you on your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Thank you Karen, that sounds like a very good option. My youngest is reading now, so he should be pretty fluent by the time we start. We just may try that and see how he does; I'll be very relaxed in my expectations though, so it will be okay if he's not interested, since 1st grade is young.

I tried working with my ds13 when he was 8 or 9 and then again when he was 10 but unfortunately, he felt like it was a drudgery--probably my fault. We finally scrapped it and got English from the Roots Up and bought a couple of the Rummy Roots games. Our kids have really enjoyed that and learned a lot of the roots. We've had it for a couple of years and it's great. Here are two websites with flash card and matching interactive activities.

http://www.memorare.com/education/engroots.html

http://quizlet.com/18070/100-greek-and-latin-word-roots-flash-cards/