Menu

To spend the money or not - Bosch/Nutrimill Questions

I started making my own bread last summer and have been enjoying the process. My hubby who has complained about wheat bread that I bought from the store even seems to enjoy my whole wheat stuff. And I love my whole wheat tortillas so I have motivation to continue making things at home.

The grain mill I have is ancient. I have no idea what kind. It's a large wooden box and easily weighs 40 pounds. I don't keep it on my counter because it is huge but I also despise moving it around because it is so heavy. I don't mill grain as often as I would since it's a pain to move (and leaves quite a bit of flour around). Also I can only do about 4-6 cups of flour before i have to stop. It gets hot and the flour seems a bit gummy. I'm guessing it's overheating the flour and potentially destroying nutrients but I really don't know. I have no information about the mill or how to use it. It was given to me, so I'm making use of it because it was FREE.

I also don't make bread as often as I might because with two very small children, I don't always have the time to get my hands in dough for 15 minutes. But it's not like we NEED the bread, we can always eat something else.

So I've been contimplating for months on whether or not to by a bosch mixer and nutrimill grain grinder. It would probably make my life easier but I haven't used either. I do have a grain grinder and I still wouldn't make more than two loaves of bread at a time (which I can easily knead by hand). Hubby is fine if I buy them. Part of me wants to because at the very minimum I wouldn't have the flour mess everytime I grind something and it should be easier to do small amounts of specialty grains (without the hassle of the heavy mill I have) but at the same time they cost ALOT of money for something I can accomplish with the tools I already have. I'm practical by nature so this seems like such a whim to me but at the same time, saving my time isn't a whim either.

Thoughts from those who do or don't have them. We are also looking at replacing our stove and dishwasher this year so this would be a third big expense in a single year.

I'd love your thoughts on this.

I justified it by saying that I would bake all our own bread, and make pizzas at home instead of sending out. Back then I wasn't sure if I could commit to this so I decided to put the grain grinder on the back burner until next year.

I am sooo happy with my Bosch. I make 6 loaves at a time adn put them in my freezer. You can actually make more loaves (I think it's a 15 lb max and 6 loaves are about 10 lbs), but my oven will only hold 6 bread pans at a time.I also got the KA whole wheat baking book and uuse it every day for something, including my bread recipes.

I buy my flour in 25 lb bags through a food coop and store it in one of my chest freezers. Now I want to buy a mill, but since we are moving overseas, I will wait.

HTH

jeri

and like them both. They are worth the money, definitely. Making bread with a Bosch is so easy - well, after the trials and errors of bread making! I really like the Bosch. If I had it to do over again, I would get the stainless steel bowl instead of the standard though.

NutriMill is great & has a true lifetime warranty. After owning it for 2 yrs, it stopped working suddenly. I wasn't even going to waste my time to call the company to inquire about the warranty. I thought, as with so many companies, lifetime meant the life span of this feature or that. However, I did call and was met with great customer service! I paid for shipment to them, they covered complete repair and return shipping. I am glad I own a NutriMill!

Another mill to check out is the Wolfgang (European) something or another. It is apparently very quiet and very fast at milling - but at least twice the price of the NutriMill and I have no idea about warranty info!

HTH! Best to you,

Cheryl

I love them and recommend them to anyone who will listen. It sounds like your mill is very work intensive and the flour you are getting isn't the best quality, and if you had an easier time making whole wheat flour, you could be using it for pancakes, waffles, muffins, so I would think that a new more efficient mill would definitely be worth it. If you had a bosch, you could make 6 loaves of bread and freeze part of them, then you would only have make bread every couple of weeks. Until you've used the bosch, you just can't believe how easy it is to make bread.

HTH,

Joy

My mom has had her Bosch since my brother was just a wee boy:-) He's 30 now. (So 25+ years) And, she has a mill that is a Whisper Mill. She has faithfully used them throughout the years. And, the mill she can use for Oat Groats, to mill for Oat flour...and I make the yummies Oat Crepes...with Kefir and eggs...and arrowroot pwd...Just the best.

No family member of mine, but I like pointing people to the Urban Homemaker, as she is/was a homeschooler...and her husband has recently died....

Carrie:-)