Menu

Another food question, re: child's nutrition

My son has sensory integration challenges and has aspergers. He is awesome and he doesn't "not eat" out of a rebellion or such thing, it's not a battle of wills.

He is public schooled for, hopefully, this year before I bring him home again. I send him to school with sandwiches... no matter what the type, no matter that I remind him, no matter that the teacher's keep an eye out to remind him... he just wont eat them. I think it bothers him, mentally, that the sandwich was made in the morning and has been sitting in the back pack.

He is allergic to chocolate and bananas. I am thinking that if he has a good breakfast (he wont eat eggs.. at all.. nope.. never) and a good dinner and I send other types of foods to school, he'll be healthy still...

So, I am thinking of baggies with carrot sticks, peanut butter on crackers and some other snack type food from trader joe's, like nuts or veggie chips. He wouldn't eat cheese sticks because he would know they come from the fridge and would be in his back pack for a few hours, so that would be a waste.

Any other ideas? I also thought that on some days I might make him a hot lunch at home and surprise him by coming to school at lunch... but that might embarrass him... not sure...

Thanks...

Would it help to use an insulated lunch bag with some ice packs (if you aren't doing this already)? Or another option would be to buy some of those restaurant jelly packs, put some peanut butter in a little container, and let him spread his own sandwich at school so it's "fresh".

Have you seen those bento box lunches? Maybe something like that, with a variety of healthy options, would work for him?

Would his teacher let him keep his lunch in a refrigerator at school?

Just thinking outloud here.... My dd4 usually brings half of her lunch home from preschool with her, so I've been looking for ideas myself. :001_smile: If all else fails, I'm sure he'll be fine eating crackers with PB and veggie sticks, especially considering he usually doesn't eat his sandwich anyway.

I am thinking of baggies with carrot sticks, peanut butter on crackers and some other snack type food from trader joe's, like nuts or veggie chips. He wouldn't eat cheese sticks because he would know they come from the fridge and would be in his back pack for a few hours, so that would be a waste.

I think those are great ideas. I have a "picky eater" (sensory issue) ds and a family with dietary restrictions so I've learned that good nutrition does not have to be traditional "sandwiches" even though they're easy to pack.

Dried fruits, apples, pears, clementines (can he peel them?), nuts & seeds of all kinds, bread rolls or muffins that are "contained" (are considered their own unit) are sometimes psychologically better than sliced, cooked veggies in a THermos-type container. Any of those he'd eat?

Sounds like you're on the right track to me - Jill