Menu

help! How often do you have to clean coffee makers to rid them of mineral deposits?

One of my dd's gave us a Hamilton Beach BrewStation, which we love, for Christmas. This morning when I hit the on/off switch for the coffee to brew, the switch light only blinked, indicating that mineral deposits needed to be cleaned out of the maker. The coffee wouldn't brew.:confused: [it was a sad morning:crying:.]

Is it possible that mineral deposits have already formed in this thing? I didn't think our tap water was that bad. I mean, we drink the water right out of the faucet. Can anyone help me figure this out? Is there anything I should do to prevent this from being a frequent problem?

Thanks..

That sounds way too soon to have to clean it unless you were using pond water. Could it have been anything else?

For all I know we could be getting "pond water" out of our faucet;). Seriously, though, we've only used the kitchen tap water. Dh's on his way home tonight from a business trip. so he'll be looking at it. In my thinking, this seems awfully soon for this to be happening... just since Christmas day. When I looked in the instruction booklet, it said that a blinking light means 'mineral deposits'.

I was hoping that someone else might have one of these coffee makers and could tell me that the blinking light wouldn't necessarily mean that.. perhaps it could be something else? Dunno...

Vinegar. Run vinegar through it. If there is a "clean" setting, use that. If not, turn it off halfway through, so the vinegar sits in the tubing for a bit.

There is also actual coffee maker cleaner, allegedly often found in the coffee aisle of the supermarket. I have never seen it in any I have frequented, however.

ETA: Could coffee grounds have fallen into the water reservoir? I'm not familiar with your setup, but my husband started the coffee without the lid on the carafe in my Cuisinart a few weeks ago - causing the filter to not empty, back up, etc. - and the clean light came on because there were grounds clogging up the works. There was some time spent with the whole thing upside down, rinsing it with the sink sprayer, and a few runs with vinegar, then water. Friends who have a similar model with an onboard grinder and they have this problem all the time.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Oh, I feel bright today.:banghead: Dh took a 30 second look and said, "I see what happened." I was supposed to fill the water in one part of the machine and then pour it into another part of the machine before turning it on. I left the water in the first part.

To my defense, dh's been putting the coffee on most mornings so I've only made it a few times since we've gotten the thing. But thanks anyway for taking time to post suggestions for me.