Menu

"Whole-to-parts" Latin

We have done PL, LCI, LCII, and are now in Henle. I am a firm believer in parts to whole language in the beginning BUT now I am looking for something else to supplement our Latin. We did Minimus for fun and my ds seemed to enjoy "reading" Latin. So what are my options? I have heard of Oxford, Cambridge, Lingua Latina, Ecce Romana. Any others? Any reviews on these? I need something interesting for an almost 11yo boy.

We have done PL, LCI, LCII, and are now in Henle. I am a firm believer in parts to whole language in the beginning BUT now I am looking for something else to supplement our Latin. We did Minimus for fun and my ds seemed to enjoy "reading" Latin. So what are my options? I have heard of Oxford, Cambridge, Lingua Latina, Ecce Romana. Any others? Any reviews on these? I need something interesting for an almost 11yo boy.

Hi Heather,

My dc 11 & 13 enjoy LL. Do a search up top for LL and you'll get tons of great old posts (a lot from me raving about the program):).

My kids are definitely behind yours as we are only in LC 1, but they really like Cambridge for "fun latin". They like the unit one book and decifer it as a game. I bought the volume on amazon for 49 cents I think. :001_smile:

Have you ever read the book Carry On, Mr. Bowditch ? My kids were giggling today as they heard about him teaching himself eight years worth of latin in a short time with just with a latin bible and Newton's Principio. He definitely learned by whole to parts.

Anyway, if you want something fun and cheap Cambridge would be my suggestion.

Lingua Latina would fit the bill for that age. If you want to use it as a reading supplement, you wouldn't need the exercise workbook, just the "Familia Romana" textbook and a copy of Jeanne Neumann's College Companion (for your reference). I've used it with students as young as 10; for a beginner, I aim to get through 6-8 chapters in the first year, but that is as a full course.

The important thing, if you want to get the most out of the book, is not to translate. Some mental translation is probably inevitable in the beginning, but the goal is to be able to read Latin fluently, understanding the content without the interference of English. So resist the temptation to translate! You'll find that Oerberg has set things up so that the student can make direct connections between Latin words and the things they refer to, rather than an English translation. It's well worth reading some of the background to the method in this book.

Enjoy!