Menu

Flow/loop schedulers, check in. How is it going? Have you tweaked it?

rafiki

I don't like the flow/loop because my kids all dig into school work on their own and work ahead. This "throws" off that academic balance and we're back to completing materials at various weeks during the year. I don't want to start new materials before we've finished existing, yet I don't want them to go weeks or months not doing a certain subject.

Can you clarify that - - do you mean that you don't want to start Grade 6 math while you're still doing Grade 5 reading, for example? If so, why not?

I think that children being ahead or behind in various subjects is to be expected at one time or another. If they plod through math slowly for months on end, it's usually because they aren't developmentally ready for the next step. Conversely, when they are ready, what was difficult three months ago is suddenly easy, and they zoom ahead.

Having kids learn on a very specific timetable isn't done in schools because it's the best way; it's done for logistical purposes. It simply isn't possible to have too many different levels in the classroom, and hewing to a timetable is pretty much necessary.

Home schools have the advantage of being much more flexible. When we finish one book, we simply move on to the next. I do think having some knowledge of "grade level" is very helpful, expecially for older students - it is easy for us to underestimate what our kids can do! But I don't let grade levels prevent us from moving at the most appropriate pace.

I do a mix of things when my kids work ahead: we keep moving forward, we go deeper instead of faster, we take some time off.

Moving forward is just moving on to the next assignment or book. Going deeper is staying on the same topic in a more in-depth way - - do a fun project or additional reading, take a field trip, play related board and/or computer games, etc. Sometimes, we do just take the time off, but usually just a day here and there.

I have a semi-loop schedule, but I just have to kick my daughter through all of her homework. SO, it's not really working out for us....Is Latin done? Is Math done? And reading History..or having her watch or listen to some history....and I'm kinda happy that we're done with some school. I am trying to get her motivated, and then the schedule would be great! (And IEW and your English...and...I have to be the one to check out everything...) Hmmm...

Carrie:-)