Menu

Writing Tales question

LadyAberlin

WT is set up to do by weeks (one lesson each week, two weeks to a tale). In WT2 the models become quite long. I wouldn't begin WT1 until your dc can comfortably write his own narration. Until then, I would do short fable rewrites using the Milo Aesop's Fables or any of the books from the Imitations in Writing series. Also WWE would be a good progression to consider. My dd did WT1 in 2nd, WT2 in 3rd. Before that we did the fable rewrites and Imitations books in 1st, like I described. It would take a pretty advanced dc to do it before then. (Of course my dd is on the young end of her grade, so adjust I suppose.) In any case, it's the length of the work in WT2 that's going to get them. I'd do some other things first before getting there.

Check, but I'm thinking it was 30 or 32 weeks. 15 stories at two weeks per story. You write the story fully twice. Some kids are really gung-ho and will do both weeks in one (say an advanced 3rd grader doing WT1 who wants to accelerate it), but in general, the pacing is very pleasant. The WT tm has two sets of lesson plans, a co-op version and a daily one. I used the co-op lessons with my class and liked them a lot. If you did them, you'd have one session a week and the rest of the assignments become independent homework for your dc. Or just do it every day like it's meant. There's just that flexibility built in.

I just want to clarify that I'm not planning on using it for my K in case you were wondering. I am using Writeshop Primary A this yr for K and I plan to move into Writing with Ease after that. I eventually want to end up in Classical writing, but was thinking that Writing Tales might be good to do before we start CW. So I'm trying to map out my plan of action. So I could do a 2 yrs of WWE for 1st and 2nd and then move into writing tales 1 in 3rd, WT 2 in 4th and then move into CW Homer in 5th.

With a good writer/natural *English-y* student who enjoys composition, I would say you could get through both in one year. I would NEVER try that with my son who is a struggling writer. We will be lucky to get through WTII this year before starting Homer. I think it all depends on the child and also on how much of it you require them to do. I do not cut anything from the plan. Some people do seperate grammar and cut those portions. I guess it just really depends on lots of factors.

I know someone who did WT1 with her advanced 2nd gr (almost 3rd gr age) dd at double pace, but that was an older dc who likes to write and was comfortable with it. I encouraged her to slow down the pace with WT2 to allow for the longer models. With my dd doing WT2 in 3rd, I let her cut down the amounts (minimum one page, one scene, that sort of thing) to avoid burnout. You just have to be sensitive to what your dc needs. It was a great year and a great fit conceptually, but I did have to trim it to fit her.