Menu

I feel like the only person

I'm a stickler for grammar, too, but I've prompted the correct answer by answering with the appropriate form. When a child makes a request and uses "can," I answer, "Yes, you may" or "No, you may not." My children have picked up the correct usage just by hearing it correctly.

I will correct my own children-but not in front of others. I draw the line at correcting other children's grammar. IMO, it can come off as being elitist and homeschoolers have enough to deal with. I don't want people thinking I'm critiquing their speech when they talk to me. ;)

I will admit that I am an adult that was not taught the difference and as long as my children ask nicely, I am not concerned about the word usage. On that same note, I have a husband who I love dearly but he CONSTANTLY does the "I don't know can you? to me and nothing infuriates me more. I have endured it for 12 years now and it makes me want to scream. That would be my pet peeve. I read this thread and I certainly understand wanting to teach your children correctly but it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end to hear "I don't know, can you?". :001_smile:

Like you, he would say, "I don't know, can you?", if we asked, "Can I ___?". I knew the difference, but "May I?" just seemed too 'formal', I guess. As kids, the only times we said it were 1) when Daddy insisted, 2) in English class in school, and 3) when we played "Mother, May I?". LOL! My kids are able to use Can I & May I correctly, but we just never made it a big deal with them.

who has taught her children the difference between May I and Can I. I admit-this is a total pet peeve of mine. My two know that if they say Can I my answer will be "I don't know, can you?" or "You can, but that does not mean I will give permission"

My grandmother was a schoolteacher and my grandfather was an English teacher and a principal. My mother majored in English. So using "Can I" instead of "May I" was not an option. :) My mother and grandmother both used to say "Can I canoe you up the river?" if we used "Can I".

I correct my children on this matter, but not someone else's children.