Menu

TOG? too much

newlifemom

I have a friend who is lamenting purchasing the cirriculum. She is overwhelmed with life as well however. Because she has a 1st grader and a k'er she spends a lot of time with them and feels like she is neglecting all else and is ready to give up. So I was curious if it was so hard or really just needs dedication like anything else. KWIM?

I heard it said that you should view TOG as a buffet, and you go along and pick and choose as much as you need or want. Some weeks, I choose very little because I am overwhelmed with other subjects, then some weeks I add more and go more in-depth. I think if you look at it like you are supposed to do most of it, most of the activities, read most of the books, then yes, it would be overwhelming.

I am homeschooling 5 kids with it.

I have a friend who is lamenting purchasing the cirriculum. She is overwhelmed with life as well however. Because she has a 1st grader and a k'er she spends a lot of time with them and feels like she is neglecting all else and is ready to give up. So I was curious if it was so hard or really just needs dedication like anything else. KWIM?

She's using it with JUST a 1st grader and Ker? Or older kids too? If it's just those 2, she needs to DITCH IT. I do not recommend it unless the oldest child is at least 3rd grade.

Is it too much for 5 kids? Their ages are 11 down to 2.

Depends on the person, also depends on how much you feel you have to do.

I love it because I control the volume, who does what. It allows me to accommodate my oldest, history buff and high volume reader along with her sister who is hands on doer who isn't that in history. (BTW there is only 20 months between them, so you would think this would be easy, but no.)

I do all my planning ahead of time, but the time I get to implementing TOG it is open and go, but I am also at a stage where I don't have to worry about reading the Teacher Notes. I do when I can and don't stress the rest of the time.

If you are going to want to do everything listed then it might be way too much for you. The idea was to give lots of options, so you can use the pieces to customize it to your children. I.E. you are the master. If you let be master you then you will be in trouble.

Heather

I'm guessing she spends lots of time with the k'er and 1st grader on other subjects, not TOG right? Cause there really isn't much to TOG at the LG level. The fact is TOG doesn't work for some people and for some people it works at some levels and not others. I suggest getting a sample and giving it a whirl.