Menu

Comprehensive LA curriculum needed for advanced readers

brownie

I plan to start HSing in the fall. Officially I will have 3rd and 1st grade boys. However both read at 3rd-5th grade level for fun and are avid readers. We will continue to read outside the curriculum.

I will be piece-mealing and/or doing lots of hands on for math, science and history so I need the simplicity of a LA curriculum that tells me and them exactly what to do each day for LA. I will likely accelerate my first grader to 2nd grade because fine motor is at best slightly above grade level and he's had no grammar instruction. I will likely start my 3rd grader in third grade.

I've looked at LLATL and Winter Promise online. Some say LLATL isn't comprehensive? and Winter Promise looks like the literature choices are possibly more advanced or at least real literature for my advanced readers, but I'm not sure it covers composition.

Is there another curriculum you would recommend?

Thanks, Brownie

Hi there and welcome. :) My 2nd grader is also an advanced reader, but instead of selecting a grade ahead in Language Arts (we use Christian Light aka CLE), I chose a grade ahead in Reading. Her literature selections are anywhere from 2nd-5th grade, but I felt like we might miss something if we advanced a grade for all of LA.

Good luck with your decision!

How about The Phonics Road and/or The Latin Road?? There is more information about them on here if you search.

I have heard raves about WP, but I don't think their composition is classical. What I have seen is a lot of creative writing prompts. It is not a classical program or based on TWTM. They follow a Charlotte Masoney/eclectic path and that is most evident in the LA. Which looks great starting 5th and up, but I think you need the composition for a classical school.

If you do go with WP you should know that their 1st grade LA is based on step 3 (and some 4) readers, so you may not need to go with the 2nd grade program. As far as I know the writing doesn't start until 2nd grade. The 4th grade LA might work for you. It includes writing skills like planning, word choice, organization, and short essays. But their writing is not a classical model all the way through.

I wouldn't go for an all in one for LA. Really it is easy to schedule. For composition, you could put both into Writing Tales or WWE and just "do the next lesson."

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Some more about WP: http://winterpromise.com/about_us.html

The classical method of composition is to first learn to narrate and copy, then you move on to learning by paraphrasing great works of literature. WP does not do this in their composition, as far as I know from the programs I have looked at. Creative writing is not part of the classical process of composition but WP starts it right away and keeps at it all the way through.

For more info you can visit their forum here and here:

http://www.winterpromise-forum.com/index.php

Using WinterPromise Language Arts

Well.... I hate to say it but having advanced readers makes it a lot more difficult to get a comprehensive curriculum. My ds who just turned 7 reads at a 6th-7th grade level but there is no way that I would have him do a 7th grade LA curriculum. But a 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade curriculum that went together would make the reading comprehension type stuff ridiculously easy.

I have his reading separate from the rest of LA. He reads a chapter a day from a book I "assign" (just one that he likes that is near the top of his reading level) and his preference is to read aloud. He just finished the third Harry Potter book and read five chapters yesterday, but he insists on reading it out loud. He also reads plenty of other easier stuff and comic books in his free time.

The other elements sound "pieced together" but we just do the next thing in each one every day or other day depending. We do writing every day, and when the work in our actual writing program is light (Writing Tales), we might do writing for history and write a narration of a section of SOTW. We use FLL3 for grammar and it is super easy to just pick up and go with that. SWR we mostly do as a spelling program now and just do ten words at a time every other day, this was a lot harder to get started so probably any spelling program would be about the same.

I think it would be a lot more frustrating for me to try to follow one program for LA where some would be too easy and some too hard. As long as I have a solid choice for each we just keep going and I don't really have any planning to do.

If you're looking for "open and go" language arts, A Beka or a curriculum like it (Bob Jones, Christian Liberty Press etc) might be the way to go. I used A Beka my first year while I got my feet wet, and then I tweaked, added, dropped and adjusted as needed. As it is, I still use A Beka for Kindergarten, and I use their English program for my 3rd grader. I don't use their reading program past 1st grade, but I have friends that use it the whole way through for LA and Math.

FWIW, sometimes you simply have to try something to see if it's going to work for you and your kids. I can't tell you how many Math programs I went through before I found the "perfect fit" for my oldest. Don't get discouraged if you buy something and feel the need to change.

Blessings and Welcome!

Dorinda

When my dd was in 1st she used abeka 2nd grade LA. It was still easy for her...but much more on level. I would add in my own writing on top of it. I think that is a wonderful place to start for an easy LA for you to put together (without having to do too much)

I tried LLATL yellow when she was in 2nd...but it was way to easy in my opinion.

This year we are using SL and I love it. It is perfect for my girls. We use the LA and add in readers, but have a ton of instruction with our writing.

Another thing to keep in mind is that TWTM recommendations should work on grade level, since TWTM assumes children begin reading in preschool, so they should be one or two years ahead in reading.

Most children who have been to PS are behind in TWTM style of writing, so I wouldn't push them ahead for that.