Menu

Hake Grammar?

Michelle T

Anyone here using Hake Grammar? Can you give me a review? I wish there were sample lessons on their site to give more of a feel for the program.

I understand that it is incremental, and there is a lot of review. Is it reasonably interesting, or dry as sawdust?

Any comments or opinions on this program? I'm still on the search for a grammar program for DS, 11.5 with major LD's.

Michelle T

Unless they have removed it, there are sample on the website. We didn't like the writing so we have used just the grammar. It is very much like Saxon math in their incremental review. They have a box each day with vocabulary then they introduce the concept and give a few practice problems. Then there are about 30 problems that review previously taught concepts. I find it to be a very complete program. It does include diagraming. They have dictation exercises and journaling suggestions for the days that you don't do dictation. There are test after every 5 lessons. There is a large spiral book for the student and a large spiral book for the teacher. Then there is a separate loose leaf papers with the tests and writing. If my daughter were to do the journaling/dictation, lesson, and write out all the answers to the review it would probably take close to an hour. I don't wish to spend that much time so we do a lot orally. I must admit that I have learned a lot from this program myself. I find it to be very complete.

Janis

Hake is definitely a complete program. I had my oldest do the 8th grade level for grammar only. She didn't do the copywork/dictation, journaling, or writing from Hake.

I know it would drive my middle dd absolutely insane, so I probably won't use it with her.

I would like my youngest to do the 5th grade level, but I'm pretty sure she would hate it. It would be good for her though.