Menu

How long does the flu last???

DS, 16, has toppled like a fallen tree with the flu - he already missed a week of school earlier this year due to stomach flu and had just gotten caught up with his classes - now this. I haven't had it in a while and can't recall how long it may last. This is the fever/achy bones/miserable flu that is NOT the tummy bug. Oh - he ahs strep, too.

I'd take him to the doc and have them run a flu test on him. If he does have the flu, he'll be down and out for 10-14 days with a high fever, aches, and cough. Watch for pneumonia and other complications. Flu is a nasty virus. Good luck...hope he feels better.

Ria

I would get him some Oscillcoccinium from a health food store. That stuff really is wonderful!

Both of mine have what I can only define as flu. They are feverish (dd13 hit 103.8 yesterday) and achy, very little appetite and energy, gunky respiratory stuff. I started with the Oscillo on day one -- luckily and for the first time ever, I had it in the house. Dd13 appears to be mending today - she is, at least, upright and has an appetite. She was fine on Friday, though a bit tired. It hit her during the night. She was unable to sit up or keep her eyes open all day Saturday and Sunday. But today, except for the respiratory crud, is feeling tons better. I spoke w/ some adults at a potluck who'd had it recently and they said theirs lasted a week, with residual "easily fatigued" stuff after that. So, maybe this stuff really is making a difference.

BTW, I have a friend who is studying to be a homeopath. She's well into her training (I think she's on year two or three of three?), and she told me recently that one need not take a full vial of the oscillo (it's sold in little vials full of tiny pellets). Like all homeopathic remedies, you need to only take a tiny dosage (5 pellets or so) every hour until symptoms abate. The "full vial" recommendation is just a marketing tool to sell more of the stuff! Or so she says. She's a smart woman who combines western and eastern traditions in her personal approach to wellness. Far from the flaky folks who sometimes push alternative remedies. So, I'm choosing to follow her guidance. YMMV.

Doran

It depends. I had the flu last week and had fever and aching for 3 days, then 2 or 3 more days to get my energy back. Sometimes it last longer. Tamiflu might shorten it by a day or so if taken within the 1st 24 hours of symptoms, but for me the side effects of nausea were not worth it.

Wendy

I would get him some Oscillcoccinium from a health food store. That stuff really is wonderful!

I second this. My dd12 went down hard a few months ago and I gave her one dose of Osci one afternoon and she was much better in the morning. I gave her one more dose in the AM and she was rapidly on her way.