Menu

If you sell used books on Amazon, what shipping do you use?

I ordinarily only do the regular shipping and that's fine, but I was trying to sell my ds's used college textbooks from last semester, and figured it would be a good idea to offer expedited shipping.

Then at the post office they told me that the only option for shipping that quickly was Priority mail, which ended up being $14.99 for the book I was sending. :confused:

Um, clearly I made the wrong choice, because I sold the book for, like, $25, and I spent $14.99 on shipping with only a $6.99 shipping credit. Yikes!

So, how do you send books for expedited shipping?

Ouch. I don't sell at Amazon, but I have through half.com and eBay, and I have to say -- $6.99 isn't enough to mail a heavy textbook via Priority Mail, which is what most customers assume you'll use if they've paid for expedited shipping.

You'd still lose money on the deal (and, so, may need to price your textbooks accordingly), but I suggest you use a flat-rate box next time, available for free from the post office, which would be plenty large enough for a textbook. No matter the weight or destination zip code, the mailing fee is the same (around $8.20, I believe). So, losing $1.20 on shipping would sure beat losing $8 on shipping.

HTH.

I ordinarily only do the regular shipping and that's fine, but I was trying to sell my ds's used college textbooks from last semester, and figured it would be a good idea to offer expedited shipping.

Then at the post office they told me that the only option for shipping that quickly was Priority mail, which ended up being $14.99 for the book I was sending. :confused:

Um, clearly I made the wrong choice, because I sold the book for, like, $25, and I spent $14.99 on shipping with only a $6.99 shipping credit. Yikes!

So, how do you send books for expedited shipping?

I only offer expedited shipping on items I know are light enough to not be very expensive (so the $6.99 credit will be enough). I've never offered it on any larger or heavy books because I don't think there is an inexpensive, fast shipping option for them.