Menu

SWR users..question please

Well.. I have been trying to decide between AAS and SWR. I think I am leaning towards SWR but, will mainly be using it for spelling as the children I want to use it with are reading, at different levels.

Do you all use it exactly as it is, w/ the logs, etc... I had someone tell me once that if using it for spelling you just needed the WISE guide.

Now..I like using things as they are meant to be used BUT.. have several children to do this w/ have used SWR before and gave up. Since then...I always long to go back, I like that the rules are explained etc...

Anyway..just curious how you all use SWR, if you feel it still works as good if you don't do every little thing.

Why would you choose SWR over AAS?

Thanks!

Kim

I use SWR just as a spelling program. I've tailored it over the past couple of years to "fit" for us. I started all my boys off when they were young learning all the sounds for the 1st 26 phonograms. Around 1st grade, we then jump into the spelling lists. With my oldest, I do one list per week. Our schedule is below:

Mon: 1st 10 words on paper

Tue: 1st 10 words in log along w/ one original sentence

Wed: 2nd 10 on paper

Thu: 2nd 10 in log along w/ 2nd original sentence

Fri: Quiz on all 20 words

I haven't tried AAS but did switch to Sequential Spelling for awhile but came back to SWR. I've been very pleased with the results but again, I've had to "tweak" it to fit our style. Hope that helps...

I've tailored it for each of my children. I used it for a few years with my son and it took me 40 minutes a day, 4 days a week to get through with him. This is a child with lds, but I feel it was worth the time, because he can spell decently now.

My daughter is a natural speller, so I spend 20 minutes one day a week, going through the phonograms with her and dictating one full list. That's it.

So, yes, I definitely think you can tweak it to fit your needs.

Lisa