Menu

Do I need a spelling program?

Jennifer

Older girls are 8 and 7, somewhere in the 2nd-3rd grade range. We use Natural Speller right now and very informal CM spelling activities. But my girls are having a hard time figuring out how to spell basic words. I've tried to teach them it's "like phonics backwards" but it doesn't seem to help. For example, my oldest can't spell "rake" but she spells "beautiful" correctly. What's up with that? So I'm wondering if I need more of a workbook type program with systematic presentation of word groups and spelling rules rather than the hit and miss method we've been doing. I've always been a good speller without much need for knowing the rules and I'm wondering if I'm expecting my girls to be like me.

So, if you think I should use a spelling program-which one?? I need to place my RR order today and I've been fretting about this for a while and then realized I haven't asked my question here!

Thanks!

Jennifer

a more formal program I should say. As for the can spell beautiful but not rake...perhaps she's had more exposure to the word beautiful or used it more in copywork or writing. In general, people will spell words correctly if they've used them more frequently. Memorizing lists works for some, but not for others. Whatever program you go with, I'd suggest making your dc USE the words (either in dictation, copywork, original sentences, etc.) to make them "stick", KWIM? We use SWO and I plan 2 days where my dc have to actually USE the words, not just copy them in a workbook. I have them write original sentences, do dictation using words they have difficulty with (we do a pretest on Monday so I know which words, if any, they cannot spell) or if I can find copywork using the words, I'll do that. Some use Spelling Wisdom for dictation along with their spelling program (http://www.simplycharlottemason.com). I'm contemplating this! My brain can't always come up with original dictation sentences! HTH

We're going to use Simply Spelling Grade 3-12 by Laurie Hicks

http://www.shoelacebooks.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1490908

It uses copywork and dictation to teach spelling rules in context. I'm quite impressed with it after using Spelling Workout A, B and half of C. We've dropped spelling until 3rd grade (next year) when we'll use Simply Spelling.

They are very young still. Give them time. I wouldn't worry too much about spelling inconsistencies. With my own children, and when I was a classroom teacher, I never found that using a traditional spelling program--lists of words to be mastered by the end of the week--ever resulted in better spelling in other contexts. I can't tell you how many times I looked at a misspelled word in a paper and said, "But this was one of your spelling words!"

So, I've ditched all those spelling workbooks/programs and gone to Studied Dictation ala Charlotte Mason. Learning to spell words in the context of writing has worked wonders with my children and I have seen great improvement. We use Simply Spelling as well. I like having the dictation passages already pre-selected and arranged in increasing difficulty. It uses high frequency words, so you are getting the same sorts of words as you would in a workbook program, only in context. Simply Spelling also includes word study exercises. We really like it and spend less than 2 minutes daily working on it. The program begins in Third grade. Before that, just use copywork.

Dictation is so great because it covers such a variety of skills: listening, spelling, vocabulary (because you have to know what the words mean to make sense of the passage), punctuation, usage, etc.

With my own children, and when I was a classroom teacher, I never found that using a traditional spelling program--lists of words to be mastered by the end of the week--ever resulted in better spelling in other contexts. I can't tell you how many times I looked at a misspelled word in a paper and said, "But this was one of your spelling words!"

I taught second grade and noticed the same thing.

Right now are using Hannah Wilson's Word Attack. Most of what we have done so far has been review, but I think that it is going to work well for my dd. Since there is not another Word Attack book I am considering using Simply Spelling when we are finished which will likely be around the beginning of third grade.

Jan