Menu

Aesop's Fables ...

Luanne

I like the Milo Winter version the best.

It is really perfect for a second grader because that is around the time that they really get the humor. There is so much you can do with the stories too.

1. Use them for narration

2. Use them for copywork

3. Use them as inspiration for composition

4. Use them for the lessons they teach

5. Just read them and enjoy

We use them as the backbone for our composition. I will read a story to my dd, the next day we will discuss the who, what, when, where, why and how of the story. She will then tell me her own version of the story in a shortened form. I will write it down for her and she will illustrate and copy the sentences over the next few days.

The stories are a lot of fun. :)

I got my copy at Half Price books for just a few dollars but I saw the redone version Barnes and Noble has put out last Friday, too. It's very nice as well.

I focus on reading one story to my boys each week. We read the story each day at lunch and talk about it. They love it. I agree with Plaid Dad that they are basic to cultural literacy. References to Aesop's Fables are everywhere. They have also been great in our home for character training. I have carefully chosen the ones I want to share - either very well known ones (for the cultural literacy part) or ones that will help my ds learn a truth (character training) that I want to sink into his heart.

Either way, we've so enjoyed our study of Aesop this year!

Hth,

As Plaid Dad said, they are basic to cultural literacy. They contain a wealth of wise folk sayings that you've heard all your life, such as, "A stitch in time saves nine." Once you know the stories, you understand where all those wise sayings came from and what they really mean.

They are mostly short and easy to read. I still prefer reading from beautifully illustrated versions as I love good artwork as much as any child..... Most libraries carry a wealth of options for reading them......

Regena