Menu

?? for PLL and ILL users

Caroline4kids

I was going to use the Queen's LA, but when an order mix up happened I just canceled it and now I am back to square one.

I have Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate along with the teacher guides but I am having trouble trying to figure out where to place my kids. There is a lot of memory work and compsitions are just plain hard for my kids as writing is laborious at best. Oral narrations are wonderful but getting it on paper is a whole different animal.

Are these books reallly 2nd and 3rd for PLL and 4-6th for ILL? If you are jumping into ILL without first doing PLL should you back the student up a bit? If so, how much? I just don't think my 9 year old is reading for jumping in the middle of ILL, but I have no idea how far back to go.

I'd love to hear how these books are working out for you and if any have stuck with it through the whole thing.

My oldest started ILL when she was in 5th grade. We glanced through the 4th grade section for a little bit of time then started in the 5th grade section. She did it in 5th and 6th grade.

My middle child (now age 9) started with PLL in 2nd grade, and is in ILL now. I plan to keep her in it through the end of the book.

You can adjust the composition and writing expectations for your child in the beginning. We did a lot orally if needed. And worked together. For memory work, we usually just used those as poetry study and practice time for reading out loud because our main memory work was coming from Bible verses in our unit study program. But we try to at least learn the first stanza.

I think the first few lessons in PLL seem like too much for 2nd grader, so I didn't feel the need to have her complete all of the dictation.

I'm using the Lost Classics editions of the books. I don't have their teacher editions.

-crystal

Ditto what Crystal said... just pick up the book and begin, and adjust as needed. My oldest was 10, I think, when we started using this type of Language Arts learning and we went through much of PLL orally. Then she started ILL and slowed down a bit because she was actually doing more *writing* at that point.

I wouldn't start your 9yo in the middle of ILL, but at the beginning, or even the second half of PLL if very much of it is unfamiliar to her. Are you considering her 4th grade right now? Is she a young 9, or is she closer to 10? What has she done for LA up to this point? The answers to those questions can help you decide where to start and how much to skip (if any) in PLL and/or ILL.

I think maybe I'm going to start the 9 year old in the middle of PLL and try to work for mastery. We have always use a lot of CM methods, but the transition from oral to writing has been very hard and frustrating. I think working under his level a bit would really help.

My 11 year old is going to start at the beginning of ILL instead of the middle and as long as he is mastering things I will let him move at his own pace.

Maybe I am just having trouble with feeling like I am behind with them. My New Year's resolution for school was to work for mastery as opposed to my self-inflicted timeline.:blink:

At least these lessons aren't labeled with grades.

Thanks ladies!