Menu

Just wondering...Does anyone track their calories and nutrients?

If so, what resources do you use? Do you use a website or journal?

I've been tracking calories and nutrients for almost two years, and I wonder if I'm very weird. Has anyone else lost weight and successfully maintained without tracking?

Let's hear it!

I have used Sparkpeople.com for the last year and love it. The thing I love the best is this: you can put in your own recipes with the nutrient info for each ingredient, and then they'll compute the nutrient info for the entire dish. You don't have to share your recipes with everyone else. I have most of my recipes in there, too, and although it takes a long time to input everything, it's great once it's all there.

Only what's written on the backs of my vitamin bottles... okay, I have a weird sense of humor.

After the baby is born, and I've recovered somewhat, I'll go back to tracking calories/protein/carbs/fat -- but that's it. Much more, and I'd drive myself nuts.

We did for a while. We used FitDay.com and liked it. It definitely helped keep mindless snacking in check, as well as illustrating whether we were on track nutritionally.

We were pretty much just doing portion control and trimming extraneous calories using Cooking Light recipes. My husband and I both lost around 40 lbs doing that.

I didn't maintain it, but mostly because I then had twins. :D

Thanks. I'm going to check out sparkpeople.com. I've been using fitday.com, but the ability to enter your own recipies would be great.

I actually like tracking. I feel I do pretty well without it, but this way, I know exactly what I'm eating and in what ratios. I've learned a lot from doing it so long.

I use FitDay.com somewhat.

I started by working backwards from the recommendations from the DASH diet (low-sodium, high-fiber, for hypertension prevention.) Then I plugged in possible food combinations until I found some daily plans that met my nutrient and colorie needs to lose weight. Now I just use an Excel spread sheet that I keep open on the computer to track calories each day, as I know the calories of most foods I eat already, and I look up new foods as needed. I lost 10 pounds before the holidays, maintained through the last few weeks, and I started back up today. I have used WW and other programs, but basically it all comes down to eating less calories and keeping track of what you eat.

Just tonight we measured, and I have 4% more body fat to lose (down to 26% and aiming for 22%). One more pant size won't hurt either! Ha! After that, I will be content. Christmas got me WAY off track though! I got away from counting every day (had done it for about 4-5 months daily prior), but now need to go back to it now that the holidays are over. Just made my new spreadsheet today. I think I'll look at sparkpeople though - sounds interesting.

GL! - STacey in MA