Menu

Yoga experts???

I have been contemplating it for awhile.

I think it is something that I can do at home with the kids.....and (I am not a running five mile, treadmill type) I really think it it would more suit my*style* but...I know nothing about it.

Any advice?

What about a recommended beginners video?

Any information would be useful.

Thanks so much in advance.

Emerald

iTunes has a podcast that has audio directions and accompanying pdf visuals for poses.

Audio Yoga has decent videos, level based.

My kids enjoy doing exercises from the book Yoga Games, but there are a number of good books and videos. I originally bought the book to teach a class at our homeschool co-op and would probably have chosen something else for strictly home use. (No complaints, just the focus is a group)

I have been contemplating it for awhile.

I think it is something that I can do at home with the kids.....and (I am not a running five mile, treadmill type) I really think it it would more suit my*style* but...I know nothing about it.

Any advice?

What about a recommended beginners video?

Any information would be useful.

Thanks so much in advance.

Emerald

For beginners I would recommend a class before anything because proper alignment in yoga is important. If you don't have any classes in your area or cannot afford one, then I would look into videos. Gaiam has some good ones. Look for Rodney Yee, Suzanne Deason or Patricia Walden. Target carries some, you library may have some or http://www.gaiam.com has them.

You need a yoga mat. Props that are helpful are a strap and block, but you may be able to use some things around the house in place of them (belt, tie, short stool, etc.). A blanket is also helpful.

I am sorry, but I have to leave for work. I will try to get back to this later.

It's best to have a sticky mat. I also would say to try some DVDs from the library. But I also agree that you will get much ore out of it if you can take at least a few classes from a good instructor, one that walks through the class and checks your poses and adjusts you. I have done a lot of yoga over the years and there are thigs you just don't get from a video, even a really good one.

That is certainly one of my questions: will a video cut it? I can't really afford anything else in terms of money and time.

Would one or two "lessons" be enough for me to then supplement with videos?

Thanks for all the responses.

emerald

Edited by emeraldjoy

That is certainly one of my questions: will a video cut it? I can't really afford anything else in terms of money and time.

Would one or two "lessons" be enough for me to then supplement with videos?

Thanks for all the responses.

emerald

My local yoga classes run in sessions of 6-8 weeks. I think the cost is around $70 for the session and that is for 1 class per week at an hour per class. It is hard to say how many classes are enough because a lot of it depends on what they teach in the class that you happen to attend, but I would recommend at least 6 classes if you can do that.

You can get started with videos, you just need to be careful to use one geared towards beginners. There are a lot of yoga videos out there now and many of them assume some familiarity with the basics of yoga. Also, with this in mind, in yoga it is very important to listen to your own body and only go as far into a pose as is appropriate for you. This is where a class is helpful because a good teacher will help students modify poses so that they still get the benefits of the pose at a level they can handle.

Start with a yoga mat (also called a sticky mat) and some videos from the library if classes are not an option. This is a good video to try: http://www.gaiam.com/product/yoga-studio/yoga-instructors/patricia-walden/yoga+for+beginners+dvd.do .

There are also different styles of yoga (which you will see when browsing videos). I started with Hatha yoga which focuses on individual poses and have also done Ashtanga which is more of a flow style.

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit.

Edited by Deece in MN