Menu

Booster seat talk has got me thinking...can you clear this up?

My children are big for their age (e.g. 9yo son is the size of an average 12 yo). My 3.5yo is pretty tall, and weighs 41 lbs. Booster seats say they can use the 5pt. harness up to 47 lbs, or it's a belt positioning booster from 40-100 lbs. Could I really use just the best with a child so young? If not, do I have to switch when he reaches exactly 47 lbs?

Also I was just reading that if the seat your child is is does not have a head rest, then they should use a booster with a neck/headrest. I've been using a backless booster for my 6yo (again, probably the size of a 7yo...she's tall)...should I be switching to a booster with a back?

From what I remember, any child is better off in a 5 pt booster and it is best to keep them in 5 pts as long as possible. So if you can put your 3.5 yo in a 5 pt for another 6 pounds, you should. I know with my kids somewhere around 40 pounds, they slowed down in growth. I don't know about switching exactly at 47. Maybe put her/him on a scale once a month until he/she is really close.

Your 6 yo, if she is in the car in a place where there is no head rest behind her, I would say yes, switch her to a high back booster. If she has a head rest, then she is fine in the booster she is in.

Since she is big for her age, if you can be within the law in your state, here is the test to see if she is big nough to go without a booster at all:

Safety Belt Fit Test

* 1 - Have your child sit all the way back on the vehicle seat. Do his or her knees bend at the front edge of the seat? If they bend naturally, go to #2. If they don't, return to the booster seat.

* 2 - Buckle the lap and shoulder belt. Be sure the lap belt lies on the upper legs or hips. If it does, go to #3. If it lies on the stomach, return to the booster seat.

* 3 - Be sure the shoulder belt rests on the shoulder or collarbone. If it does, go to #4. If it's on the face or neck, return to the booster seat. Never put the shoulder belt under the child's arm or behind the child's back.

* 4 - Check whether your child maintains the correct seating position for as long as you are in the car. If your child slouches or shifts positions so the safety belt touches the face, neck or stomach, return your child to the booster seat.

Hope this helps!

Cheryl's answers all look good to me. (I'm not a tech, but I am very serious about car seats!) If you want more thoughts you could re-post your questions on the car-seat.org forums, where lots of certified car seat techs hang out. You can post as a guest, so you wouldn't even need to register to get your questions answered. :thumbup1:

This subforum is probably the most appropriate: Installation and Technical Questions.

:) Carolyn