Menu

A poster had stated that dual enrolling is hard ...

Guest kacifl

I wanted dd to take Biology and Chemistry, not as her first class, but eventually. The poster suggested I have her study biology at home, first, to make the college class less difficult. This seems to defeat the purpose. DD is not going to be interested in studying biology twice! Any thoughts?

If she's going to take a bio for majors class, they may assume that she will have already had high school biology and chemistry. If she's going to take a gen-ed class or a high-school level class aimed at students who have not had biology in high school, they will probably not. Ask the biology department at the school she would attend how much knowledge is assumed from high school.

I concur with Kiana. At our local community college, there are two introductory Biology courses -- one is geared for science majors, the other for all other students. The science major course will be substantially more challenging than the other. Only you and your student can determine her readiness for such a course.

Regards,

Kareni

This is why my son is taking Introductory Chemistry instead of General Chemistry - he hadn't had any high school chemistry and only light middle school chemistry. He has to study fairly hard, but is doing ok. His cousin is taking high school chemistry (one of the higher ones - either honours or AP) and my son's CC class, even though it is only intro, is moving twice as fast. My youngest will probably take general chemistry at the CC for his high school chemistry because he is doing part of Conceptual Chemistry now, in 8th grade, and is more science/math oriented.

Just in case more info helps...

-Nan

Yes, I agree. Taking bio for non-majors is one thing for a high schooler taking bio for the first time. Taking a bio course for majors, who are assumed to have had *at least* high school level bio already, if not also anatomy, or other higher level bio related courses, is another....

My older son took a geology course for non-majors when he was a freshman in high school and it was plenty challenging for him. It included a lot of chemistry of the minerals which he was not accustomed to, even after having studied geology in his elementary years. I teach geology courses for elementary kids and *I* thought it challenging.

I don't know how old you are, but science had become much, much more technical, is studied much more at the atomic level, and includes much more math than it did when I was in college!

She is going to be an RN. Looks like we better do Biology at home, first. We have BJU on dvd plus the books and Apologia. Maybe we'll run through Apologia. K

She is going to be an RN. Looks like we better do Biology at home, first. We have BJU on dvd plus the books and Apologia. Maybe we'll run through Apologia. K

FYI: My niece is in college to be a radiation tech & she had to get an "A" in anatomy. She made a B so is having to re-take it. I'd suggest your dd be well versed in her major's classes before jumping in.