Menu

Kindergarten First time homeschooling, multiple kids

Itsasmallsworld

Hi, I have a question for experienced homeschool mamas! 
my oldest will be in kindergarten next year, and I’m starting the curriculum research. I’ve looked at a few in detail (Memoria press, heart of Dakota, sunlight, my fathers world), and I like the idea of having help with the planning by using a resource like this.

however, I’m looking for a box curriculum I guess, that includes Saxon Math and Logic of English. Is there a preplanned program that includes these two? 

im also looking for something that will be easy to do with multiple kids. Next year my kids will be 5,4,3,2,1. So, knowing they are close, I’m hoping to be able to use one guide for all or most to avoid different curriculums for every single grade (but I’ll keep them at their own reading and math levels if that makes sense). Is this a good idea/possible? (I know they’re little now, but just thinking ahead). 

If anyone has any experience or insight for me, I greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

For super simple, you could just get the Saxon Math and LoE and maybe a handwriting book for the 5 year old, and cover everything else with picture books, crafts and field trips. If you get into rotating books/crafts with seasons, festivals, any activity available to you (e.g. if you are visiting a dino museum, that week is also great for dino books and dino crafts). 

For a little more structure you could look at Busy Toddler Playing Preschool years 1 and 2, for books/songs/easy crafts and then add in your math and LoE for the older two. The activities there are easy to adapt to different ages, and you can also easily add a more complex read aloud picture book on the fortnightly  topic for the older kids.

Timberdoodle also has nice ideas for educational toys/games to add in.

On 9/3/2024 at 3:05 PM, Itsasmallsworld said:

Hi, I have a question for experienced homeschool mamas! 
my oldest will be in kindergarten next year, and I’m starting the curriculum research. I’ve looked at a few in detail (Memoria press, heart of Dakota, sunlight, my fathers world), and I like the idea of having help with the planning by using a resource like this.

however, I’m looking for a box curriculum I guess, that includes Saxon Math and Logic of English. Is there a preplanned program that includes these two? 

im also looking for something that will be easy to do with multiple kids. Next year my kids will be 5,4,3,2,1. So, knowing they are close, I’m hoping to be able to use one guide for all or most to avoid different curriculums for every single grade (but I’ll keep them at their own reading and math levels if that makes sense). Is this a good idea/possible? (I know they’re little now, but just thinking ahead). 

If anyone has any experience or insight for me, I greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

I have 3 children that are 5 years apart (5 years and 2 weeks to be exact). I found that a 3 year age gap is about the limit you can stretch any written criteria. So, in my case, my oldest was usually a class of her own, and the younger two were usually grouped. Yes, math and reading done individually as they were all over the board. I would suggest as your kids age into school watching closely to see who to group with whom. But I would hesitate to do one level; you'll probably end with 2, possibly 3, levels.

• Thanks 1

You have picked two programs that are long and involved each day.  Do you have that time to devote to one child this year?  Next year when you're doubling it?

I would do something like Five In A Row for kids in young elementary to keep them grouped, and add in a math/reading that is about 20 minutes each per day.

• Like 3

The Boys are close in age. I made them a class and taught them as a class for their early years. They both learned to read, write and count at roughly the same pace.

When dealing with small children, I find it much more sustainable to preteach the weaker student 1-on-1 for 5 minutes, then teach the class for 15 minutes, then review/challenge the stronger student for 5 minutes, then review the weaker student for 5 minutes. In 30 minutes of my time, we have all had a really successful class.

In your shoes, I'd encourage making a "class" out of the oldest 3 and teaching a simple beginning reading curriculum to them for about 6 months, then adding in a simple, beginning handwriting curriculum for about 6 months. After a year of reading and 6 months of handwriting, you'll have a better idea of who actually needs to be split off and who just needed time.

I suggest that you borrow and read Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (the teachers guide and the first 20 lessons or so) to get an understanding of how you might present and guide the phonics lesson, so that everyone is able to get benefit from it and learns to read.

Take some time to research and consider various Phonics programs from the lens of "how can I teach this class-style in my home?"

As you know, you've got 5 kids in rapid succession, so it's more important for long term success that you not burn yourself out.

It's far better to do just enough for each child, than it is to try and do too much with just one or two of them and make yourself nuts before you even get to the rest of them.

• Like 1

I bought a box curriculum early on and threw it out after a month. It was too much work for my children and for me. 

Since you already have a reading and math curriculum you like, then I really don't think you need a box curriculum. The reading and math curriculum will already do the planning for you on those two subjects and you don't need more than that. 

Yes, you should read aloud to your child but you don't need a curriculum to tell you what to read. If you can't get yourself to plan that (which I don't) then your children will be more than happy to find and hand you books to read to them. Social studies for Kindergarten is show them around the neighborhood and show them what you do everyday. Science is let them play, children are born wonderful scientists. If you discover you need more stuff to entertain them then find a fun science or history/social studies/geography curriculum/subscription box/membership.

On 9/3/2024 at 1:05 PM, Itsasmallsworld said:

So, knowing they are close, I’m hoping to be able to use one guide for all or most to avoid different curriculums for every single grade (but I’ll keep them at their own reading and math levels if that makes sense). Is this a good idea/possible? (I know they’re little now, but just thinking ahead). 

So, some people I know have been able to do that. Similar to what @Gilmentions. I have not been able to do that at all with my 2 children 18months apart. It really depends on the children and whether they are compatible. For us, I found certain curricula/methodologies that spoke so well to each child that for that particular subject and child I can be a lot more hands off. That leaves me capacity to do more teacher intensive things for other subjects for each child. 

I agree with Gil that in your shoes I would choose materials that I could present to a wider age range. 

I think I would choose All About Reading Pre-Reading and Math with Confidence K...plus read alouds, fine motor tools (play dough, painting, stringing beads, etc), make believe, nature, etc.

All About Reading Pre-Reading level is gentle and fun. Whoever isn't napping is probably going to want to "play along" with the puppets and games and funny stories.

Math with Confidence is also gentle and fun: drawing pictures, playing store, etc.

I also agree with Gil that at the end of a year, when your kids are 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2, you will have a much better idea of who it makes sense to group for what subjects.