Menu

Fallacy Detective Book

We used Art of Argument in a group setting last year.  I put time into finding examples of fallacies, including funny memes, ads, video clips etc.  A highlight for the kids was enjoying those and then identifying the fallacy.  We also had the kids create their own book of fallacies - I photocopied some print based examples for them to paste in, and they also generated their own examples.

Sometimes we listened to 5 minute podcast episodes at https://www.filteritthroughabraincell.com/.  She often gave good examples but she also used plenty of fallacies herself in talking about them, and the kids enjoyed feeling smug when they found those 🙂

• Like 3

I made symbols for my kid: red fish, a finger pointing, a paper doll silhouette..actual physical representation of red herrings, tu quoque, ad hominem..and then as we went through the exercises he'd either hold up the appropriate one, match it to a paper slip, or, as he got more confident, I'd mix them up and give him more than one type of fallacy he'd have to identify.

FD has a site with ideas like this: Board game, make a fallacy poster, and identifying based on campaign videos.  The one good thing is that campaigns do offer a ton of fallacy examples, but you don't want to use anything recent or relevant, and these are old enough to get around that. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I made symbols for my kid: red fish, a finger pointing, a paper doll silhouette..actual physical representation of red herrings, tu quoque, ad hominem..and then as we went through the exercises he'd either hold up the appropriate one, match it to a paper slip, or, as he got more confident, I'd mix them up and give him more than one type of fallacy he'd have to identify.

FD has a site with ideas like this: Board game, make a fallacy poster, and identifying based on campaign videos.  The one good thing is that campaigns do offer a ton of fallacy examples, but you don't want to use anything recent or relevant, and these are old enough to get around that. 

Thanks!  These are great ideas too!

1 hour ago, Quarter Note said:

@desertflower, I don't have anything to add, but I just wanted to let you know that I asked my son your question, because we loved Fallacy Detective around here, and he said, "That sounds like a lot of fun, to do it with a whole bunch of other kids!"

Have fun!  Please let us know how it works out. 

That's great to know.  Thanks!  Will try to remember to give an update!  🙂