Menu

My 14 year old rising 10th grader is looking for AP Language and Compostion and AP Computer Science Principles for the fall. He is looking at Johns Hopkins CTY AP classes for the Language. Any experience with this program? Any suggestions for a good class? Please guide. We are very new to AP classes and high school in general. Thank you!

On 5/16/2024 at 6:35 PM, Renochka said:

My 14 year old rising 10th grader is looking for AP Language and Compostion and AP Computer Science Principles for the fall. He is looking at Johns Hopkins CTY AP classes for the Language. Any experience with this program? Any suggestions for a good class? Please guide. We are very new to AP classes and high school in general. Thank you!

Rebekah Lang at PA Homeschoolers has an excellent reputation in teaching the AP Comp Sci courses, including Principles. Her students not only do very well on the AP exam, but seem to thoroughly enjoy the class.

Jen

AP Statistics/PA Homeschoolers

I cannot say that I favor PAH—I canceled the AP class and at the Athena Academy, too. I like CTY classes, though they are very expensive, but they are very generous with financial aid. They're good for self-motivated kids; my son has taken honors physics with NO help from the teachers. The feedback was more about the formatting than about the essence, but that's the problem of most writing and science courses that I see here (I think only IEW, Lukeion, and AoPS are the exclusions). 

I like their quizzes and exams; they properly check the knowledge level. So when I want the kid to know the material and be sure it's not a fake (good job-amazing) but an honest evaluation, I would definitely choose CTY. 

As for AP English, I am going to register at LUKEION. The kids have taken all their grammar and writing classes before, so I know they prepare really well. They are strict with requirements, honest with evaluation, and detailed with feedback. 

Two of my kids have taken AP Lang and AP Lit with Maya Inspektor at PA Homeschoolers.  I have my youngest signed up with her for AP Lang next year.  She is fabulous.  She gives great feedback to the kids, and her class is set up exceptionally well.  She is also flexible if needed (my older two had many speech and debate tournaments and swim meets to work around).  This is an instructor I recommend to everyone.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2024 at 10:53 AM, Likaly said:

I cannot say that I favor PAH—I canceled the AP class and at the Athena Academy, too. I like CTY classes, though they are very expensive, but they are very generous with financial aid. They're good for self-motivated kids; my son has taken honors physics with NO help from the teachers. The feedback was more about the formatting than about the essence, but that's the problem of most writing and science courses that I see here (I think only IEW, Lukeion, and AoPS are the exclusions). 

I like their quizzes and exams; they properly check the knowledge level. So when I want the kid to know the material and be sure it's not a fake (good job-amazing) but an honest evaluation, I would definitely choose CTY. 

As for AP English, I am going to register at LUKEION. The kids have taken all their grammar and writing classes before, so I know they prepare really well. They are strict with requirements, honest with evaluation, and detailed with feedback. 

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience, and I believe you. But please do note that all of the instructors at PAHS are different from one another, and what is true of one course is not necessarily true of the others. I don't personally know the course or instructor you used, but I know several of the instructors, and my kids took classes at PAHS as well as other providers, and detailed feedback is rather the norm, because we care about what we do (in my opinion; I don't speak "for" PAHS). 

Jen Driscoll

AP Statistics/PA Homeschoolers

• Like 2

On 5/16/2024 at 7:47 PM, Porridge said:

No experience with JHU CTY but PA Homeschoolers generally has good AP classes, and Maya Inspektor's AP English classes are well regarded

Agree. PA Homeschoolers is excellent. 

• Thanks 1