Menu

Phonics for a Co-op

This isn’t for my own kids, but for a friend’s situation. I’m curious if you have ever seen phonics done well in a co-op or hybrid/university model setting school. What curriculum have you seen that can be successfully used in a classroom 2 days a week and at home the rest of the week? Most curricula that is written for the classroom feels clunky at home, and vice versa for homeschool curricula. I’m wondering if Explode the Code may be an option? Anyone tried it in a group setting? 

I don't know if I would do Explode the Code, but I have considered a few others that might do well with modifications.  I look at something like the Tennessee Foundational Skills program where you have classroom instruction and things to do at home or something like Reading Mastery/Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons, where you can frontload 2 days of information, do a day of review, and repeat as necessary.  I think, though, anything your friend does will probably be a mash up, just like the environment.  The classroom would be new information, games, playful lessons, and home would be a separate workbook that reviews the information.

There's a hybrid (2 days/week) school in our area is using the UFLI Foundations program. We considered sending our youngest this year, so I did some research and thought it looked like a good choice. The 128 lessons are meant to be taught over three years (K-2), which does seem doable in a hybrid/co-op setting as long as the children are around the same age/level and stay together as a group. The lesson materials (slide decks, reading passages, homework sheets, and activities) are available online for free so parents can work with their kids at home between lessons. 

• Like 1