Menu

2nd grade planning 2024/2025

Clarita

I'll start. I don't put levels down because most of it's just going to be where ever we are. 

Math: Beast Academy 

ELA

Reading: We are past the learn to read stage so currently I'm envisioning assigned reading. (Maybe I give him some choices and he chooses.) This year has been very interest-led in this area but some of the books he picks sometimes has questionable grammar and punctuation. (I think this year this approach was fine because we are just working on writing a sentence, any sentence. Moving forward though I'd like us to be reading well written books.) Continue with read alouds. I would like to do Chronicles of Narnia (I'm hoping his little sister (to be first grade) will be able to enjoy it with us.)

Writing: HWOT (handwriting), Reading Poodle books and Grammarland, do some madlibs for grammar. Explode the Code focusing on phonics rules and spelling. Copywork and narration from the reading.  Writing across subjects with The Writing Revolution.

Science: Mystery Science 

History: Curiosity Chronicles Medieval. I will supplement with SOTW because I can borrow that. 

Extracurriculars: Piano, PE class, Baseball, and Chinese.

• Like 1

DD6 is either a young 2nd or old 1st grader. Most of her core subjects are 2nd grade and content subjects are 1st grade level.

Math: MM 2nd, lots of board/card games (favorites are Adsumudi, Kingdomino, Lucky Dice, Qwixx, Sleeping Queens), Beast Academy guides (no workbooks)

LA: She finished AAR so we are just buddy reading through different books of her interest. I am going to try out buddy reading a Kaleidoscope kids Bible book. AAS 2, WWE 2, FLL 2, TGTB Handwriting 

Science: Finish BFB Seasons Afield, Let's Read and Find Out book series. I was looking at Apologia or Berean Builders but most people seem to say to wait until third grade.

History/Geography: BFB Around the World or Early American

We are also seriously considering Classical Conversations because it's what homeschoolers do here and I need community. I thought community could work with playdates but between sick kids and busy families it's not happening 

Edited by Momof4sweetkids
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My youngest will be in 2nd next year. 😥 This is subject to change, but I'm leaning toward:

CLE Math 200

Abeka Phonics & Language 2

BJU Spelling 2

BJU Reading 2

Abeka Handwriting 2 or Pentime Transition 

My Father's World Adventures in US History (includes Bible, History and Science)

*I have most, if not all, of this on my shelf.

She plays soccer and does track in the summer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My youngest will be in second grade as well. I have two older boys and have loved the convenience of the MP Cores for my little the past few years. So continuing with what's working! 

Memoria Press 2nd Grade Full Core

Enrichment Co-op one day a week

Soccer, Trail Life, and Awana. 🙂

• Like 1