Menu

1st grade planning 2024/2025

What is everybody using?

Language Arts: All About Reading 3, Evan Moor Spelling 1, First Language Lessons 1, Writing with Ease 1

Math: Saxon 3

History: Story of the World 1

Science: Elemental Science--Biology for the Grammar Stage

Latin: Song School Latin 1

Religion: The Ology: Ancient Truths Ever New by Marty Machowski

Other: Tech: typing.com;   Piano: Music for Little Mozarts. 

Just started thinking about my 6yo who will be in first grade next year. She is eager to learn and easy to please.

I will most likely use but can change:

Lang Arts: HWT, All About Spelling, Brave Writer Jot It Down

Math: JUMP Math

Science/Hist/Geo: Unit Studies of her choosing. 

Extras: Calendar, Keyboarding Without Tears

Girl Guides & Swimming Lessons

Edited by alysee

I'm probably going to come back and edit this. My first grader is my second but she feels so different from my first.

Language Arts: All About Reading, HWT/D'Nealian (seriously she can't decide so it's whichever she wants to do on any given day), The Secret World of Talking Animals from Thinking Tree, I may also use some stuff from the year of Bravewriter Quill I had got my son. Tag along reading Poodle with older brother.

Math: Singapore Math

Science: Mystery Science, some The Writing Revolution output.

History: Curiosity Chronicles, some The Writing Revolution output. 

Second child turning 6 next month: he started doing what I consider kindergarten work at 4.5, just very slowly. I declared, he can say he’s in first grade once he finishes Recipe for Reading workbook 4 (sometime this month).

English: Recipe for Reading workbooks 5-8, layered with Apples and Pears A, adding in Dancing Bears/Fast Track from sound foundations to hammer fluency.

Narrate Aesop’s fables orally

Humanities: continue homemade world geography read-alouds through summer. transition to north america/native american books in Fall, early american history in spring.

Lots of literature favorites at bedtime and in car. Just finished Farmer Boy, and he’s excited to hear the Little House books his older sister is always yapping about. I don’t schedule these, just browse assorted literature book lists. Rabbit Ears Productions audio stories are a constant in our household.

Math: Second Grade Math With Confidence intermixed with oral speed drills pulled from the Rod and Staff 2 math fact practice pages. This kid can understand and extrapolate conceptually much earlier than his older sibling, and has had no difficulties with MWC K and 1, BUT half the time you ask him what 1+6 is and he doesn’t yet have quick recall and gets totally stumped. For my first MWC was just the right amount of practice to master math facts, but this one needs a lot more rote practice. Maybe I should have made him slow down on earlier levels until he could manage more of the written practice himself…

Science: tag along Berean Builders science in the ancient world, nature read aloud so

lots of cindy rollins style morning time singing, memory work etc

Learning to swim, learning the can-jo, digging holes in the yard and goofing off with homeschool friends at Wild and Free and half day co-op

• Like 1

Current 5 yo has a summer birthday, so will be a young first grader (or older Kindergartener) next year. We mostly will continue with what works, where he will likely be somewhere between K and 1st grade level come the fall.

Language Arts: All About Reading, HWOT, possibly Spelling You See Listen and Write, possibly CGP Reception/Year 1 Phonics or English. We read aloud lots of books and poems - focus right now on lots of books he cannot wait to read himself like Dragon Masters.

Math: Singapore, moving into Beast Academy. We’re already finished Singapore K-level, and thinking about taking some months to play lots of math games to really internalize math facts before moving on to first grade level. 

Science: Magic School Bus and other science picture books, and some hands on activities inspired by them. We are a sciencey family so we have a lot of science picture books, grow vegetables from seed, play with electronics kits, record the weather etc anyway. Possibly Kiwi Crate or Mel Kids subscription boxes. Fine motor skills could use the extra practice, so will do some crafts around science/engineering interests. 

History: dinosaurs and prehistoric animals are a big interest right now, so we‘ll dive into that. Usborne Beginner History series as a brief overview of major civilizations. We have some specific picture books that fit well with the content of museums (Romans, Egypt) that we can visit easily. 

Geography: Sill picture books on habitats, Barefoot books sticker atlas as jumping off point to discuss and look up stuff.

Other: learning a musical instrument, Lingobus Chinese, swimming. Previous years we’ve been doing picture books and crafts around seasons/holidays/festivals and will continue that as it‘s fun and we already have all the stuff.

My little guy's turning 6 in early September and he's been easing into school for Jr. Kindy & Kindy. We took a few programs and did them half-speed to spread them through 2 years. He's pretty much self-taught in reading so I'll need to figure out where he's at. He's tagging along with his older sisters for a bunch of these subjects.

Math:

• The Good & the Beautiful 1
  • Wild Math 1 & In the Garden with Wild Math

Science/Nature:

• Blossom & Root Level 2: Wonders of the Plant & Fungi Kingdoms - starting over summer
  • Beginning Herbalism unit from Wild Learning
  • Kids' Herb Book + Boreal Herbal - identifying local plants and their uses
  • A bit of gardening, focus on our unique climate
  • Wilderness first aid & survival skills
  • Blossom & Root Level 5 - Astronomy (over winter, since we can't see the stars at other times of the year)
  • For the Love of Homeschooling Nature Study units
  • Mystery Science

History:

• Prehistory, evolution, paleontology/archaeology & mythology
  • Blossom & Root Prehistoric Life from Level 3
  • Layers of Learning Ancients

Canadian Studies:

• Geography - Great Canadian Adventure's - Tiny Travellers
  • Geography - The Canadian Adventure (Canadian Homeschooler)
  • History - My Canadian Time Capsule (Canadian Homeschooler)
  • History - DIY Year 2

Language Arts:

• Grammar: First Language Lessons 1
  • Reading: Wild Reading 2 (or All About Reading Level 4, according to the placement test)
  • Writing: Writing With Ease 1
  • Phonics: Explode the Code 1-3(?) to reinforce concepts
  • Spelling: Sequential Spelling Level 1?
  • Handwriting: Canadian Handwriting A
Edited by AsgardCA

• 2 weeks later...

My son is technically kindergarten for the next school year but we did kindergarten this entire year.

Literature: lighting literature

First Language Lessons

handwriting without tears

explode the code (finishing up AAR 2)

Singapore Primary 2022 1st grade

mystery science 

sprinkle in some units of core knowledge because we all love it. 

Originally I wanted to do around the world but I feel next school year will be better because I’ll have a 6.5 year old and a new 5 year old. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered

All about Spelling Level 1 - own already

Beast academy Books 1&2

Handwriting without Tears - My Printing Book

Chalkboard Publishing Daily Language Skills 1

Edited by alysee

I'm looking at Cottage Press Primer 1. I didn't use this for my eldest... I have to remember why. Right now I just think it was because the copy work seemed too much, in which case it won't be a problem for DD5.

Hi! New here. Starting first grade in earnest next week. Long, boring story. She just turned seven. 

Phonics: All About Reading 3. She placed into AAR 4, but I have too much gifted kid baggage about placement exams to push her to the edge of ability when review could only help.

Math: Singapore Math Dimensions. Her teachers told me she was ready for second grade math, but there are some gaps and she despises math so we started at the beginning a few months ago in hope of making it a delightful subject. A few small signs point to yes. Some times I worry I am boring her with all of this review. 

Spelling: All About Spelling 1. She keeps volunteering for additional math lessons rather than start start this, which is an odd sort of victory.

History: Just ordered Story of the World 1. So excited. 

Science: Dithering between Scientific Connections through Inquiry and adding the BFSU book suggestions, or Real Science Odyssey. 

Handwriting: Currently using The Good and the Beautiful's doodle series. I would purchase Handwriting without Meltdowns if it existed. Daily fine motor practice in the meantime. I hope we can use HWT some day, but no rush. 

Literature: Trying every chapter book in creation and reading aloud from James Herriot's Treasury for Children for now. 

Foreign language: TBD.

Is anyone using an art curriculum? 

2 hours ago, Queen of the Tabbies said:

Math: Singapore Math Dimensions. Her teachers told me she was ready for second grade math, but there are some gaps and she despises math so we started at the beginning a few months ago in hope of making it a delightful subject. A few small signs point to yes. Some times I worry I am boring her with all of this review. 

DS let me know math was boring. Basically when his focus starts to waver and he starts to fight a subject it means the material is either too easy or too hard. To figure that out (if it isn't obvious) I just say OK do this/these problems for me as quick as you can and if they are correct we can skip the rest. I pick the harder problems for this exercise. If he complains about that then I pick then problems he was doing and I say let's do this problem together. I do it with him to see where the confusion might be, then that's the end of math for the day; I regroup and figure out how I can teach or scaffold it starting tomorrow's lesson. 

3 hours ago, Queen of the Tabbies said:

Handwriting: Currently using The Good and the Beautiful's doodle series. I would purchase Handwriting without Meltdowns if it existed. Daily fine motor practice in the meantime. I hope we can use HWT some day, but no rush. 

HWT starts with doodling for a few pages. I would say for us this was the handwriting without meltdowns. You can start in Kick Start Kindergarten even. If meltdowns are happening with this you may want to invest in the teacher's guide. It has more things in there to make handwriting even more scaffolded and gentle.  

19 hours ago, Clarita said:

DS let me know math was boring. Basically when his focus starts to waver and he starts to fight a subject it means the material is either too easy or too hard. To figure that out (if it isn't obvious) I just say OK do this/these problems for me as quick as you can and if they are correct we can skip the rest. I pick the harder problems for this exercise. If he complains about that then I pick then problems he was doing and I say let's do this problem together. I do it with him to see where the confusion might be, then that's the end of math for the day; I regroup and figure out how I can teach or scaffold it starting tomorrow's lesson. 

HWT starts with doodling for a few pages. I would say for us this was the handwriting without meltdowns. You can start in Kick Start Kindergarten even. If meltdowns are happening with this you may want to invest in the teacher's guide. It has more things in there to make handwriting even more scaffolded and gentle.  

Thanks for the reminder about the teacher's guide. I bought First Grade student and teacher set, then a friend gave me the Kick Start Kindergarten student workbook. I will track down the teacher's edition.

Edited by Queen of the Tabbies
Forgot a word

The preschool level of HWT (My First School Book/ My First Lowercase Book) is also good if fine motor skills are an issue. The writing is bigger, fewer repeats are expected, and it means the later levels seem familiar.

For Art curriculum - we don’t follow a curriculum. For us, handwriting fine motor issues are coupled with a lack of interest in coloring/drawing. Not sure if this is the case for you. Anything that gets him to willingly interact with drawing/crafting materials is a win. Things we do do:

*Kids Art Hub draw along videos 

*Encouraging making greeting cards and thank you notes (he will draw or craft for a purpose)

*Making seasonal crafts/decorations 

*We are fortunate to live in a city with museums/art galleries with kids days that usually involve some hands on workshops/ craft activities - he will usually take part. There are also kids interpretive tours of some art exhibitions.

*If we are traveling we visit art museums and focus on a few pictures. We try to read picture books about the artist or a famous painting in advance. We also read picture books on styles like "If Monet Painted a Monster" and "If Picasso Painted a Snowman"