Menu

Resources for someone who suspects that his father is a narcissist?

Hannah

I had a conversation today with a friend who described the family dynamic in which he was raised and how his father was charming to the outside world and a terror at home. Also how his brother was favored, and he dismissed. I asked if his father was a narcissist and it has never occurred to him.

What are good resources for him to explore this further?

Edited by Hannah
Typo

• Hannah changed the title to Resources for someone who suspects that his father is a narcissist?

Go to YouTube and enter these search terms:

“Les Carter narcissistic parents”

“Dr. Ramini narcissistic parents” 

Book: 

https://www.amazon.com/Adult-Children-Emotionally-Immature-Parents/dp/1626251703/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=S635KNH08FFC&keywords=adult+children+of+emotionally+immature+parents&qid=1701010761&sprefix=adult+children+of%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Also on YouTube: Patrick Teahan (LICSW) therapy. He had/has a narcissistic father and was very much abused. He tells of how his dad treated him. It’s very sad, but Patrick is very intelligent and he uses a lot of humor in his work. 

Some dismiss these as “pop psychology “.  That’s easy for a person to say who has never experienced a parent like this. This “pop psychology”, I’m sure, has saved lives. 

Patrick says that he is often criticized by parents because his therapy causes their children to turn away from them. These toxic parents make their children feel like it’s them, and the parent is just a victim. Patrick tries to enlighten people of this. 

One of his newer videos: