Menu

Sergers and Sewing Questions

Sounds like you both are pretty much in the beginners column. Invest in getting your sewing machine tuned up and in excellant working order. Invest in a very good steam iron, ironing board and tailor's ham. (I buy Rowenta irons only for my sewing needs.) Most importantly invest in a good pair of sewing shears and use them for sewing only. Please, Please do not buy Fiskars anything for sewing shears. Expect to spend good money for a livetimes investment on sewing shears. (Mine were by Weiss, bought years ago as a "coming of age" present from my mother.) Pressing and cutting accurately are more important skills than the seam fininshing power of a serger.

And I haven't figured out yet how to get post under the correct link in the thread. This should have gone under the original posters comment. I would look seriously at the book that Calico Cat linked to in her post. It sounds very interesting and up to date. I dislike sewing books with "sampler" or throw away projects. I would want my learners to have something cool enough to use from each of their sewing lessons.

I had been sewing for years before I bought a serger. You don't have to have one (but, boy are they handy!).

My hubby and I agreed to get a less expensive one to see if I enjoyed it. I bought the Janome 634D MyLock machine. It is a workhorse! Even after 4 years, I wouldn't trade it in! They are a couple of hundred dollars. BTW- Janome now makes the Kenmore brand, and you can buy them at Sears.

Patternreview.com has excellent reviews on various machines- a great resource.

I don't know of any curriculum, but I do own a couple of books. Readers Digest and Singer books are all good.

Mostly, I just learned to sew by sewing :) Get a good simple pattern (like a skirt). IMHO, Kwik Sew patterns are the best, but to start off, any 4 paneled, elastic skirt pattern will be fine.

I had no idea how to even thread a machine 7 years ago, and I now make all of the girl's clothes, and most of mine too. Don't get frustrated, and be willing to throw away things that look horrible. :)

Above all, have fun!

First, I completely second "stitches and pins". Very nice book for kids.

Second, I don't have a serger but I have my mom's here and we've been borrowing it for some time. She has always been very intimidated and never learned. I did instead and it works wonderfully. It's from Wal Mart and I can't remember the name but the price was very reasonable for something that does, indeed, work well.

I'm sure there are other far better ones out there but I only sew now and then, not expecting at this time in my life to learn to do fancy things with all the fancy attachments. I just want something to make clean seams. When the kids are grown and I have time for the fancy things, I'll get a nice one. Or if my mom gets ambitious about using hers I'll have to go get my own cheap one for now.

Sounds like you both are pretty much in the beginners column. Invest in getting your sewing machine tuned up and in excellant working order. Invest in a very good steam iron, ironing board and tailor's ham. (I buy Rowenta irons only for my sewing needs.) Most importantly invest in a good pair of sewing shears and use them for sewing only. Please, Please do not buy Fiskars anything for sewing shears. Expect to spend good money for a livetimes investment on sewing shears. (Mine were by Weiss, bought years ago as a "coming of age" present from my mother.) Pressing and cutting accurately are more important skills than the seam fininshing power of a serger.

And I haven't figured out yet how to get post under the correct link in the thread. This should have gone under the original posters comment. I would look seriously at the book that Calico Cat linked to in her post. It sounds very interesting and up to date. I dislike sewing books with "sampler" or throw away projects. I would want my learners to have something cool enough to use from each of their sewing lessons.

Years ago, I worked at a Carter's factory and sewed on a serger..where I fell in LOVE with them.

I have not sewn anything in years, just didn't have the time. My daughter wants to learn now, so I am looking for a good book to teach her and myself, since there are things I still don't know.

Quilting or fabric stores often have classes for beginners. My dds (ages 9 & 10) have been taking a beginners sewing class at a local quilting store. I am impressed with all they have learned! (I know how to sew, but I was too nervous about letting them use the machine. Now, they use it like a pro.)

I taught myself how to sew, but when it came to my dd, I sent her to a sewing class. We have a Bernina dealer who has day classes for homeschoolers and it's been great!

I'd hold off on a serger for a bit, though.