Menu

Any suggestions/tips/resources for 'Roadschooling'? (RV based)

Specifically, we're actually floating the idea of essentially living out of our RV with our two boys for the next year or so, and treating the entire trip as a giant, non-stop 'field trip' for their homeschooling.

Does anyone know of any resources for such a (potentially crazy) endeavor? Their ages are 5 and 8. Would that be completely ridiculous for us to attempt? We have tons of experience with camper life/boondocking/travel etc. But none on such a scale as this. 

Our goal would be to be loosely traveling the country, stopping at national parks etc etc on the way.

• Like 1

Sounds fun! And ve-ery close quarters all the time, eek. There used to be some pseudo-regular threads about schooling out of a variety of limited size containers (backpack, bankers box, suitcase). You might find a spin-off thread like that useful if you decide to embark. You could follow the Lewis and Clark trail, Trail of Tears, Spanish explorers' paths traveling north from Mexico or West from Florida, or I recently saw a map that tells you how to see all 50 states in the months they each have an average temperature of 70°F.

This seems like the perfect ages for that kind of extended travel!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Eos said:

Paging @kokotg Our very own Hive member writes this blog: https://boxycolonialontheroad.com/ and might have some thoughts.

My husband's a teacher, so we're stuck with a school schedule still (kids are homeschooled), but we've spent 2 months or so in the RV most summers for the past several years (so 4 of those summers total, with a few other longish but not that long trips). I fantasize regularly about DH doing online teaching for a year so we can so longer stretches...mostly I want to be able to make it to Alaska and to do the southwest when it's not summer. Anyway, so clearly I don't think it's a crazy endeavor at all 🙂 . And I think your kids are great ages for it...when kids get older it gets very tough to pull them away from friends/activities/etc for such a long time. One thing I always think about when I contemplate a year full time is that it would be a very different experience to be working full time and traveling than to actually be mostly vacationing (we've done some work from the road but nothing full time). I could see finding that balance being tough. I also think I might have a hard time settling back in post travel...I already tend to feel like a caged animal for a few weeks after we get home from our long summer trips. But I still think it would be amazing. We like Less Junk, More Journey and Keep Your Daydream for full-time YouTubers with families (Keep Your Daydream's kids are grown now, but the archives go back to when they were a lot younger and roadschooling). Oh and the RV Miles podcast is good, too--they just moved back into an apartment after several years on the road, but they have three home/roadschooled kids.

• Like 2