Menu

SOHS

All experienced SOHS parents-

For SOHS admissions, are there any specific things that worked for you or worked against you? Are there any do's, dont's, tips, or advice when applying as a strong math kid? Did you submit the SAT/ACT or any such score? 

My kids didn't use SOHS, but I've worked with a bunch of SOHS students who were applying. What I've seen work is organized, thorough paperwork and a clearly student-led application. As in, when it's obviously the kid's interest driving the process, not the parents.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farrar said:

My kids didn't use SOHS, but I've worked with a bunch of SOHS students who were applying. What I've seen work is organized, thorough paperwork and a clearly student-led application. As in, when it's obviously the kid's interest driving the process, not the parents.

Agreed. The SOHS application is equivalent to a college application and mine is still a middle schooler hence the question. . The application itself says the student can discuss their ideas with parents. Additionaly parents are supposed to answer questions. 🙂 All of this is an overwhelming process. So just looking for advice from parents who have been through the process.

22 minutes ago, M4fun said:

Agreed. The SOHS application is equivalent to a college application and mine is still a middle schooler hence the question. . The application itself says the student can discuss their ideas with parents. Additionaly parents are supposed to answer questions. 🙂 All of this is an overwhelming process. So just looking for advice from parents who have been through the process.

I mean, what I'm telling you is that I've helped parents through the process so I'm super familiar with it. That's literally my advice. Make sure that it comes through that your kid is leading the process. That includes in your own responses.

• Like 2

There is a parent group that is open to prospective families.  I'm not a member of that group, but I am a member of another that is likely similar (JHU-CTY).  Just go into it with a thick skin.  Maybe that particular group is more nurturing, but parents of gifted kid groups often have a few blunt/rude participants who appoint themselves gatekeepers.  (Like, "If your kid couldn't do X, Y, and Z completely independently by the age of 6, then you should be looking elsewhere." 🙄

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sohsparentsgroup

Edited by jplain
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, jplain said:

There is a parent group that is open to prospective families.  I'm not a member of that group, but I am a member of another that is likely similar (JHU-CTY).  Just go into it with a thick skin.  Maybe that particular group is more nurturing, but lots of parents of gifted kid groups have some pretty blunt/rude participants who appoint themselves gatekeepers.  (Like, "If your kid couldn't do X, Y, and Z completely independently by the age of 6, then you should be looking elsewhere." 🙄

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sohsparentsgroup

Thank you so much for your honest feedback! I am struggling with getting my child a social environment that she would enjoy and I feel SOHS and such opportunities might help.