Menu

banker box worth of craft supplies

macmacmoo

long version: We have too much stuff. But I'm currently in a mindset that I know our time is at a premium and honestly we rarely do arts and crafts. The co-op the kids go to once a week has an hour called flex lab where they rotate through strewing all sorts of craft supplies so i know just because we no longer have it they will still have some level of access to it. Help me pair down what we have. 

short version: If you could only have a bankers box worth of craft supplies, what would you fill it with?

Ages of kids?

Coordinated or not?

More artsy (free form), or more crafty (follow directions for an end result or learn a specific skill like crochet)?

I would stock with those factors in mind.

Good tools are nice, and you can always buy the consumable stuff when a specific project comes up if they are more inclined to craft.

If they are inclined to explore and be more free form, half supplies and half tools.

My box would not willingly contain glitter, lol!!!

If coordination is an issue, I would include more pre-cut items (unless they respond to skill building with these kinds of projects).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Ages of kids? ages are 6, 9, 12, 15

Coordinated or not? mostly, though their scissor skills aren't the best

More artsy (free form), or more crafty (follow directions for an end result or learn a specific skill like crochet)?  a little of both I suppose

I would stock with those factors in mind.

Good tools are nice, and you can always buy the consumable stuff when a specific project comes up if they are more inclined to craft.

If they are inclined to explore and be more free form, half supplies and half tools.

My box would not willingly contain glitter, lol!!! no glitter in the house lol.

If coordination is an issue, I would include more pre-cut items (unless they respond to skill building with these kinds of projects).

Edited by macmacmoo
  • Like 1

I would maybe have some little kid stuff in a box, but I would let the big kids keep their own supplies if they are responsible (like being careful with paint, etc.).

I would do a blend of tools and supplies if they are both artsy and into crafts and stick to staples for the consumable items (glue, paper, markers, crayons, duct tape, etc.). Prioritize things that can do double duty. Look for crafts that are practical or use household items. Nature items are fair game too.

Let them freely raid the recycle bin when inspiration strikes.

• Like 2

Markers, Crayons, Colored Pencils, Colored Paper, Scissors, Tape, Glue Stick = essentials for me!

I guess I see arts & crafts as a very fluid supply---you can ALWAYS buy more, so don't stress over what you end up donating.

(Sounds like you can donate your surplus to the Kids' Flex Lab -- Win-Win-Win!)