Menu

Anyone used science from Moving Beyond the Page?

ktgrok

Looking for some insight without me watching a bunch of outdated youtube reviews that half the time are from people that just bought the program and haven't actually used it. (pet peeve - If you are doing that call it a flip through not a review! Both are valid, but make it clear which one you are doing!)

Right now we are halfheartedly doing a unit from TG&TB but I don't love it. I find the videos....condescending? Something...certainly not interesting. And the random bit of religion are annoying despite me being Christian..it's just clunky. Basically, don't love it. But like being able to buy less than a full year's worth of science because we add in a lot of other science stuff - they go to a STEM drop off program weekly that is pretty much all science, we hike and learn about native plants and animals, watch documentaries, go to the local Science Museum, etc. So any curriculum is more to fill in, provide some output for their portfolios, cover some basics, etc. 

Thoughts? Are the books interesting? Is it designed for the student to read/do on their own or parent to read aloud and do with them? How much writing is required? Activities worth doing? 

I haven’t used MBTP as the firsthand reviews I’ve experienced have been lukewarm, but we have a similar approach to science education & have enjoyed Real Science Odyssey. The levels are a bit light as written IMO, but that works well for families like ours who want the flexibility to expand topics of interest while still lightly touching on other aspects of a given branch of science. 

• Like 1

We tried and failed to love the 12-14 age level MBTP (all of it). It felt clunky and disjointed to us also. I initially thought the problems were layout and formatting ones, but I think they go deeper and are actually scope and content ones.  I LOVE most of the books that they choose in terms of range. The assignments generally weren't open enough that I could target my kids at anything close to their actual abilities.  I tried with a couple of different kids, and it just never came together. I kept some books, and got rid of the rest.