Menu

Brain tumors

Do you see an increase in brain tumors among people you know? At least three people at my church have had brain tumors in the past year, and two of them were children. There may be more that I don't remember because I didn't know them. It just seems weird that in a congregation of 1500 people there would be at least three in one year. Is that a typical rate for that number of people? One in 500? It seems high to me.

The incidence of brain tumors in adults has actually decreased slightly.

Rates have been going up in children. Some of the increase is due to better diagnosis, but that probably doesn't account for all the increase.

3 cases of brain tumors in your church does seem high. You could contact your county health department and ask about local rates. They may be interested in doing a cluster study.

Edited:

I should add that the causes and environmental risk factors of brain tumors aren't clear, and the disease may be different in kids than adults. So 2 cases in kids in your church is higher than typical, but doesn't necessarily mean anything unusual is happening. Those two cases wouldn't be enough to trigger an investigation, but if your community in general seems to have an unusual number of cases, that might warrant a cluster study.

Edited by Perry

Let's see in my own life over the last 2 years:

Lost an uncle to bone cancer, my father to pancreatic cancer, my fil had prostate cancer, one aunt-in-law had breast cancer, my sil just had a double mastectomy, neighbor with colon cancer.

My dh will be going for his 5 year check-up from kidney cancer as will my mil.

My mother did tell me about an old neighbor from where I grew up who had a brain tumor a couple of years ago and I did work with 2 people who had brain tumors a couple of years ago.

Where I live I have heard of more cases of prostate cancer than brain tumors.

No matter what kind it is, Cancer sucks.