Menu

DYS and standardized test scores

M4fun

Mom here of a mathy kid in 7th grade. The parents on this forum have inspired me to allow my kid to apply to DYS. I feel she will get a like-minded community at DYS. 

Has anyone here got into DYS with SAT/ACT scores? I read the scores have to be 99.9%. IQ seems to be around the 145 cutoff. We will also need some work samples so thinking of one Math sample. Is there anything else that you would recommend to make the application stronger?  

2 hours ago, M4fun said:

We will also need some work samples so thinking of one Math sample.

I read the scores have to be 99.9%

You'll need three total work samples if you apply via SAT/PSAT/ACT/ITBS instead of another one of the test options.

The standard does seem to be standard deviations (~99.86th percentile) but with the number of ways to submit scores I suspect more than 0.14 percent of students would be able to qualify

• Like 2

In general, the older the child, the harder it is to show the level needed. Having said that, if you have a good portfolio that shows upper division high school or beyond work for a 7th grader, plus strong scores, I'd go ahead and apply. All it costs you is time.  I do think that DYS, like any program, is kind of what you make it. We went very "All In" on DYS, and for us, it was one of the best homeschooling decisions we ever made. But I think the going all in was a crucial part there. 

As far as making your application stronger, make sure your samples show thought and aren't just work, if that makes any sense. I probably overdid our portfolio, but I included things like video samples and lots of stuff in L's writing. If you have work with teacher comments/grades, that is recommended for DA/DAO, so I assume it would be good for DYS as well. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

In general, the older the child, the harder it is to show the level needed. Having said that, if you have a good portfolio that shows upper division high school or beyond work for a 7th grader, plus strong scores, I'd go ahead and apply. All it costs you is time.  I do think that DYS, like any program, is kind of what you make it. We went very "All In" on DYS, and for us, it was one of the best homeschooling decisions we ever made. But I think the going all in was a crucial part there. 

As far as making your application stronger, make sure your samples show thought and aren't just work, if that makes any sense. I probably overdid our portfolio, but I included things like video samples and lots of stuff in L's writing. If you have work with teacher comments/grades, that is recommended for DA/DAO, so I assume it would be good for DYS as well. 

23 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I agree it is harder with an older child! Unfortunately, we did not start the process early.

My child loves math and is attending university classes since she hit a brick wall at school. Will those work samples be good? She does have some other non-course-related work samples of proofs and such. Some of them are beyond me 😉 

On 9/25/2023 at 2:49 AM, Malam said:

You'll need three total work samples if you apply via SAT/PSAT/ACT/ITBS instead of another one of the test options.

The standard does seem to be standard deviations (~99.86th percentile) but with the number of ways to submit scores I suspect more than 0.14 percent of students would be able to qualify

True! Thinking of some Math course-related samples.

Any IQ test that is good for mathy kids? I am wondering if taking an IQ test would be better. 

19 hours ago, M4fun said:

My child loves math and is attending university classes since she hit a brick wall at school. Will those work samples be good? She does have some other non-course-related work samples of proofs and such. Some of them are beyond me

I bet many folks here would be happy to help you decide which samples are the most impressive if you post the ones you're considering here.

23 hours ago, M4fun said:

Any IQ test that is good for mathy kids? I am wondering if taking an IQ test would be better.

Since she would only have to get 145+ on one section, I would think that any of them would be ok.  

I find it interesting that they are ok with one section of an IQ test but you have to have at least a decent score on both sections of the SAT to qualify.

You can always have her take an IQ test and then not submit the score if it isn't good enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EKS said:

Since she would only have to get 145+ on one section, I would think that any of them would be ok.  

I find it interesting that they are ok with one section of an IQ test but you have to have at least a decent score on both sections of the SAT to qualify.

You can always have her take an IQ test and then not submit the score if it isn't good enough.

That is really interesting! Thank you!

They didn't have the relationship when we did it,but we did EXPLORE (pre-ACT, no longer exists) testing through Belin-Blank and they referred us to Davidson, after someone here (I think @quark) suggested them as being willing to work with younger students than CTY/TIPS. It was a very positive experience. 

I know CTD is offering a special online SAT for Davidson programs, too.

• Like 1