Menu

Article on reading comprehension instruction

PeterPan

This article says what we already know, that background knowledge is 80% of reading comprehension, that looking and text structures in order to RETELL the source works. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nataliewexler/2023/09/04/more-evidence-that-our-approach-to-reading-comprehension-is-all-wrong/?sh=137235066875

And then a very ill done text structures analysis with my ds this morning. I'm so lazy I didn't even look at Thememaker to see how to do it RIGHT. I just picked up a handy book on Tyrants (because of course what teen doesn't love tyrants) and off we went. I love how it's coming together full circle, how with his interoception he notices the FEELINGS of the characters in the text and can see how they drove plans and outcomes. It leads him to be able to see the complexity and the tools can get you there with the structures. Good stuff!

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 12.31.08 PM.png

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Mindwing stuff is awesome!

The interesting thing to come out of the recent research is that progress is *not* dose dependent. I kept delaying, thinking I needed to do it perfectly, needed to do it consistently, etc. I'm realizing we just needed to take the plunge, get it done in bits, that even bits would get us somewhere. 

• Like 3