Menu

Outlining and note taking workbooks?

I'm on the hunt for a couple rather specific needs. Secular. 

Outlining, for the 7th grade dysgraphic kid. If the short Remedia workbook and an Evan Moor daily practice book had a baby together it'd be perfect. He needs well explained baby steps and repetition, and a certain level of independence. 

Or maybe something that focuses on summarizing. He is a thorough human with much to say and struggles to break it down. 

Note-taking workbook for the 9th grader. Middle school level is fine as long as it's not immature. He is neurospicy and will do best with a book giving him the same instructions I'm trying to give. A short unit is probably plenty. Usually he just needs nudged in far enough to realize it's not that difficult and then he launches ahead. 

TIA! ❤️

Have you tried watching some Cornell notetaking videos?  7th grade is when I start having my kids taking CN.  I don't expect them to be very good at it in middle school.  The goal is that they grow in skill over the yrs.  

Learning to take CN helps them develop the skill of finding key pts from their reading.  The summary paragraph at the end of every day's reading helps them develop synthesizing skills.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2023 at 5:28 AM, 8filltheheart said:

Have you tried watching some Cornell notetaking videos?  7th grade is when I start having my kids taking CN.  I don't expect them to be very good at it in middle school.  The goal is that they grow in skill over the yrs.  

Learning to take CN helps them develop the skill of finding key pts from their reading.  The summary paragraph at the end of every day's reading helps them develop synthesizing skills.  

I just came across this, and was wondering: how would you approach practicing/assigning the CN?  I've been trying to figure out how to pick this up with my 7th & 10th graders. 

ps -- @SilverMoon-- thank you for "neurospicy", which I'd not heard before.  ❤️

• Like 1

18 hours ago, serendipitous journey said:

I just came across this, and was wondering: how would you approach practicing/assigning the CN?  I've been trying to figure out how to pick this up with my 7th & 10th graders. 

ps -- @SilverMoon-- thank you for "neurospicy", which I'd not heard before.  ❤️

I watch a CN video with them and intensely monitor their notes for a few days to ensure they are understanding the process.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8filltheheart said:

I watch a CN video with them and intensely monitor their notes for a few days to ensure they are understanding the process.  

Thanks! 

If you have time: are you already, then, having them take notes?  And how do you find this works best? 

I'm particularly wondering about how many subjects you start having them take notes in, and if you have them work preferentially from videos/classroom-type material or written material at the beginning; and then what you expect to see happening as total note-taking-output in, say, a high-school student with college-ready skills. 

Thanks so much for any perspective you have.  My older child especially is education-resistant, and for him to do well I always need a pretty firm idea of what the expected behavior & output is, some sort of rubric with the essential standards.  So that he can see what is expected and know whether or not he has done it. 

I took some pictures. Note that I dont correct their notes. I see their notes as for them to learn. (So spelling is awful. Handwriting is poor. And sometimes they insert comments like, "I dont care, " or "People are just stupid." 😉

One is my 12th grader's econ notes, one from my 7th grade granddaughter's science notes, and 2 pages from my 8th grader's history (she took 2 pages to complete her notes that day).

In middle school, they take notes from science and history reading. In high school, all subjects.

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2