Menu

Logic-stage science help, please

BFSU? RSO? Interest-led notebooking?

Kids are starting 5th grade. After three scattered and stressful years, I'm recommitting to the WTM approach with a focus on building good habits and peaceful relationships. 

Two years ago, we tried BFSU vol. 1. It didn't work for us. I felt overwhelmed, and the kids weren't eager to engage in discussion or make good observations. Last year, I bought vol. 2, thinking we'd start over with that volume, but we ended up doing science through our co-op instead. 

I want to get back to regular, good-quality science. I know BFSU is solid. I want to be using it. But if my kids can't get past the previous sour experience, then it's a poor choice. 

Here are some options. I'd love your thoughts or other recommendations. 
1. Start over with BFSU 1, with an apology and a lighter approach this time around.
2. Pick up where we left off with BFSU 1--but did they retain anything from the material we already covered?
3. Start fresh with BFSU 2--Nebel recommends everyone begin with 1, but maybe this would be an acceptable exception?
4. Switch to RSO for a REAL (ha) fresh start--but I don't know the program and my budget is already stretched.
5. Follow the WTM notebooking method, with a set number of weeks devoted to pursuing their individual interests in each branch of science--lots of freedom here, but it's not too systematic/comprehensive, and maybe notebooking for both history and science is too much to ask since they're essentially new to the WTM method anyway. 

I loved BFSU, but it takes serious work on the part of the facilitator. It sounds like you should set yourself up for success by using a more straight forward program. I don't know anything about RSO, so can't comment on that. Option 5 is great, though. Unlike math, and perhaps English, high school science classes really don't assume any prior knowledge, so having science be "systematic" or "comprehensive" in middle school isn't really a concern, and if, instead, your dc develop a love of science engendered by spending time on topics that they have a deep interest in, that is a win!

Maybe once a week you could all get together to do a demonstration or two that you pick from a book or online resource or suggestions from your dc.

• Like 1

I used the textbook (not the online course) Conceptual Integrated Science Explorations to teach a middle school science co-op (mainly 6th/7th grades) with great success. I don't think using it a year younger would present an issue. The textbook covers 2 years and the experiments were easy to do at home and inexpensive (at least in the first half which is the year I taught) so it might work well on a limited budget. I did not buy the teacher's manual.

I used BFSU, Volumes 1 & 2 to recommend library books and extension activities to any parents who wanted to beef up the content during the week which could be a nice optional addition since it sounds like you already own those books.

• 2 weeks later...

We have used & liked RSO, however it’ll likely only buy you a year or two, as most of their offerings are aimed at much younger students. We’re transitioning to BYL, which uses RSO Biology 2 & Astronomy 2 in 5th / 6th, then does a year each of World Geography & History of Science in the junior high years. 

This one is often cited as BFSU made doable. Check it out.

https://scicurriculum.com/sci/

We've used and liked BJU Science with the videos. I do nothing, the kids learn lots. Worth every penny if you can take the bias!

https://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/category/Video-Lessons#SC

Memoria Press nature study series is a great option, as well. Just pick what interests your kids.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/science/

We also have done John Tiner's Series that are printed by MasterBooks. MB lists these as high school when they are a solid middle school option. MP also sells these with their style guides. The MB teacher's things are simply the end of chapter quizzes and keys found in the texts themselves along with some culmalative quizzes and tests. MB does NOT have teacher pages for Astronomy or Planet Earth. When my kids do these, we just read the chapter and do the quizzes from the books. Easy and interesting. 3 chapters a week will take you the entire series in 12 months.

https://www.masterbooks.com/homeschool-curriculum/subject/science?series=118

HTH!

For 5th grade, I'd pick out a stack of books and let them read through them, 30ish mins/day.  Every once in a while, I'd give a science related writing topic.  That's pretty much it.

Starting in 7th grade, I'd add in something like Cornell Notes from their reading.  (Creating CN is a good skill to develop.  They can be used for reading and lectures.)   

FWIW, I don't use any formal science curricula for science below the high school level.  I never have.  My kids simply read science related books until they are ready to take high school equivalent science courses.  (They have all been more than prepared for science courses bc the reality is that math skills are far more important for success in science than any elementary/middle school science course.  A solid exposure to a broad range of science topics is definitely enough.  No labs are necessary. No worksheets, textbooks, vocabulary.  Every high school science course starts at the introductory level.)

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 2