Menu

Can you tell me about DYS?

11 hours ago, BandH said:

So, is it like here?  Discussion forums but you need to qualify?  

Yes. And that's where a lot of the connections happen. 

I do think the informal ones, which are mostly on FB (or, at least, the ones I use are on FB) tend to be more unfiltered-sometimes on the official ones people are unwilling to express any negatives about Davidson programs, or recommend alternatives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 7:08 AM, Dmmetler said:

If you're in, say, the Bay area of CA, there is stuff all the time. 

On 7/7/2023 at 8:29 PM, BandH said:

On Facebook there are informal groups whose criteria is just having a kid who is DYS. For SF Bay Area, we have an email group to communicate as well since not all have Facebook or they rather not post stuff there. The unofficial ones are better for parents I feel because you don’t get “kick out” when your DYS age out. 
My kids don’t want camps away from home so we didn’t go to any. They are introverts so we didn’t go to the local social meetups. They toured Davidson Academy at Reno and didn’t like it. They like urban campuses and UNR feels rural to them. The students were also cramped into small classrooms for some classes. Now they have Davidson Academy Online so you could look into that. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2023 at 8:29 PM, BandH said:

Yes, but much more active (the official DYS online community forums) or much, much, much more active (the unofficial Facebook groups/DIGs). And folks set up small in-person meetups through both online communication systems outside of the annual Summit as well. We met several DYS families this way years before we ever attended a Summit. Actually, this summer was our very first Summit even though we've been part of DYS for about 6 years now and I finally met people I've been talking to online for years. It was pretty cool.

I still vote for applying to DYS for your son. There's really no reason not to, and then he and you have the resources available if you ever want to use them. If you don't end up using them, you still haven't lost anything. With no portfolio requirement, you've certainly spent more time on this thread than it would have taken to apply 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1